Sword 1/72nd Hurricane

keefr22

Evening all,

Sorry this is a bit late, but my new camera is playing up by refusing to focus when I tell it to, & combined with PC problems that mean none of my photoediting programs will work, I wasn't going to bother with a w.i.p. thread, but due to some subtle arm-twisting by Peebeep, here's a sort of second rate one for you all!! Once again, sorry for the ''quality'' of the pics!!

Well, I'd already built the reasonably detailed resin components & sealed them in before Paul PM'd me, so I don't have any 'before' pics of it. The cockpit pieces were easy to remove from their casting blocks & fitted perfectly in the fuselage - which can be seen stuck together below, ready for the seams to be sanded;

DSCF3724.jpg

Well, that was easy. Wonder what the rest will be like?! Here's the inside of the wings. Large lava like flows of excess plastic hint at difficulties putting the wings together;

DSCF3729.jpg

DSCF3732.jpg

And here's the right wing after a quarter of an hour scraping & sanding which got rid of the worst large lump - together, unfortunately with a chunk of the trailing edge of the aileron :doh:

DSCF3742.jpg

Right, time to try to remove the wheelwell insert from it's casting block. This does not look like it's going to be much fun. The black felt pen marks show what needs to be removed;

DSCF3735.jpg

I first thought I'd try to sand the casting block off. However it was too fragile to put any pressure on it & I broke one end off! So out with my finest razor saw, & after almost an hour of careful sawing this is what I ended up with;

DSCF3739.jpg

It was basically impossible to get the casting block off with the way the mould was designed - there was no differentiation between the top of the well roof & the block itself. So it went in the bin!

I have to say it really didn't bother me, as I've never, ever managed to get excited by wheel wells!! As my models are always stuck to a base, no-one can ever see in them so I never bother with update sets or detailing them - & sometimes I can't even be ars*d to paint them!! So, to let you into the secret world of the sloppy modeller, here are my 'wheel wells'!!;

DSCF3740.jpg

I'll drill the plasticard blocks in order to fit the undercarriage legs. Anyway, after that excitement, the wings went together reasonably well;

DSCF3745.jpg

And now we'll see how the fuselage will fit into the wing centre section;

DSCF3749.jpg

Hmmm. OK, well, it doesn't!! The black felt pen lines show where the outside of the fuselage sits on the wing!! And that's where we are tonight peeps. I'm looking forward to fitting the wings tomorrow....... :D

DSCF3753.jpg

All the best

Keef