1/48 Sea Harrier FA.2

dswoofie

Thanks Kirk, I've rounded that RWR off a little now. The scribing was done with a mix of needle in a pin vise, and a P-cutter. Anything that wasn't straight was done with the pin, and all straight stuff with the P-cutter.

OK, a bit more progress. This morning I made the covers over the outer pylon attachement areas that this aircraft has. I made them from a piece of 40thou plasticard and sanded them to shape. I also fitted the brass rod in the tail for the attachement to the pole on the base...

DSCF0677.jpg

I also added the upper navigation light on the fuselage. Done from the end of a piece of sprue and sanded to shape.

DSCF0675.jpg

Canopy is now all closed up too, and blacked for the inner colour... Here's the overall view of things prior to adding some primer on there.

DSCF0674.jpg

DSCF0676.jpg

Right, off to do some primer... 6 days and counting for finishing off!! :o

Karl.

Right, I've blatted a light coat of primer over the Sea Harrier to check out my joins. Eliminating seams is one of my targets towards improvement, and I've been working towards it on my last 3 builds. After puttting on the primer I was able to finally see the scribing and filling all correctly. Using the CA as filler does tend to distort what you are seeing. After the primer there was a little tiny bit more work to do on the wing joins, so I sanded them back down, re-worked them, and re-sprayed the primer.

Anyway, here's what it looks like now after the primer coat... I think I've tidied the seams up quite nicely, and the scribing's not too bad either. Still got a bit of work to do on perfecting the scribing though.

cef96774.jpg

015c0901.jpg

f1e9a442.jpg

b173cff8.jpg

80777c82.jpg

34b949e4.jpg

3fff3e6e.jpg

All in all I'm really happy with how that's all come out, and has lifted my spirits on this one a bit. I was getting a bit bogged down on it, and worrying about finishing in time (still am actually!), but it feels a lot better after this!

Karl.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, about time for an update on this build!!

The week running up to Telford was pretty much chaos to me, so although I was getting progress done on the Harrier, I was not getting updates posted. I also needed to tidy up the cockpit at the front. The join there was pretty unsightly, so that was all filled, shaped and re-primed again. So, after the primer was all done, I decided to get cracking on the paint. Here's the white added with some nice subtle shading on there prior to the final white coat going on...

ac75aed2.jpg

This Harrier was painted in BS110 Roundel Blue, which is only available in enamels. So, along came Jen and mixed me a perfect match for the Xtracolor Roundel Blue colour. Using a Revell Aquacolour 51 (Ultramarineblau) and some dabs of white, it was spot on and a perfect match! Thanks ;)

I had decided to eliminate the blue from the roundels on the decals as they were darker than this colour and wouldn't match perfectly on the scheme. So as the red and the black outline came in separate parts, I decided to mask and spray the white roundels and decal the rest, so the roundel blue would match.

Here's the progress at this point...

73a10fd1.jpg

And the final result of shading the white...

6062750e.jpg

Once this was done I could get on with decalling and attempting to get it ready to display at Telford. At this point I knew I was not going to get it fully finished, but the aim was to have it displayable enough. So... decalling under way on Thursday night...

41a1d42b.jpg

On Friday I threw together a base for it's display that was acceptable. Not exactly how I wanted it, but I can re-work that later. In the end it was a close thing, but it looked OK for display even though there is still more work to do!

Here she is sitting on the Special Schemes SIG display on Saturday...

b1475ca2.jpg

f3ad4c8c.jpg

All in all I was happy with it, but am now looking forward to finishing it properly!

Oh, and a couple of pics of it back on the workbech this morning...

d0b4a4be.jpg

5c97a942.jpg

Karl.

Karl,

Sat on the stand she looks bloody gorgeous Ol' Chap, a model to be proud of (I dont advise you take it to a Yeovilton show, you might loose it :yikes: ), and just for Shaun & Kirks beneift, I :wub: Sea Harriers (not them pesky RAF efforts :tease: ) I look forwards to seeing the final result :worthy:

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Bex

P.S: Just read an article on the Scimitar, remarkable how much of a resemblance there is between it & the SHar.