Centurion

AnonymousA667

Yep what Mish said, small but looking like it could yield a nice little tank.

JB.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress at last. Everything was undercoated with Revell 09 Anthracite, then I mixed up Bronze Green as quoted in the Humbrol Colour System book and sprayed that on. Wheels were masked with a circle template to leave the Anthracite showing, thought it would take for ever. Then I coated up with Klear to make handling easier.

341378533.jpg

341378538.jpg

Should have this finished fairly soon.

peebeep

Wait till you get up to 1/35 PB, that scale is far too small for me, but it's looking good mate.

Cheers. I'm not quite ready for larger scales yet! They look like they need lots more effort and besides that I have a little stash of 1/72-1/76 kits to work through. Maybe one day.

Anyhow here's the Cent with the running gear and tracks on. The skirts are just push fitted into place for the time being:

341945259.jpg

Tracks were painted using a mixture of gunmetal, burgundy and mid-green. The stub axles were all too long and had to be snipped and I will put some blobs of pva on the ends to simulate caps. I'm planning on making the mantlet cover from some tissue, probably the same for the smoke launchers unless I can get my act together and snip some small tubes and stick them in place.

peebeep

Cheers. I'm not quite ready for larger scales yet! They look like they need lots more effort and besides that I have a little stash of 1/72-1/76 kits to work through. Maybe one day.

Anyhow here's the Cent with the running gear and tracks on. The skirts are just push fitted into place for the time being:

341945259.jpg

Tracks were painted using a mixture of gunmetal, burgundy and mid-green. The stub axles were all too long and had to be snipped and I will put some blobs of pva on the ends to simulate caps. I'm planning on making the mantlet cover from some tissue, probably the same for the smoke launchers unless I can get my act together and snip some small tubes and stick them in place.

peebeep

Great job PB. Not normally my scale but it's a lovely kit and I've got a Chieftain to go with it. I might crib that techninique for the track, too.

Tony :clif:

Great job PB. Not normally my scale but it's a lovely kit and I've got a Chieftain to go with it. I might crib that techninique for the track, too.

Cheers Tony. I've got an Airfix Chieftain and might get working on it when we get back from Telford. I must say I'm enjoying these little kits and I'm quite keen on doing a whole series of Brit armour. I've got a Valentine, Crusader, Cromwell and Comet in the stash as well.

The tracks are a little less garish than in the pictures (flash exposure) and should look quite nice with some washes and dry brushing.

peebeep

Calling time on this now. The mantlet cover was made from tissue laid on with white glue (cheers Mish! Remembered your tip from Brampton), although it took several layers to get the effect I wanted. I think it looks nicely rippled. Then sloshed various colour washes on, bit of dry brushing and here it is:

342445886.jpg

342445881.jpg

342445875.jpg

342445869.jpg

One of the spare track links went AWOL, so I've left them off. If it turns up I will put them both on, although you can find pics of Cents without them in any case.

peebeep

Cheers. I forgot to mention that I added the smoke launchers to the turret from snips of rod. Bladdy fiddly but it looks a bit better for it.

The Chieftain looks very nice on the sprue and it may well be my next armour project once the dust has settled on Telford. Everybody should go out and buy some of these old Airfix AFV kits to try and persuade them that more armour kits would be a Good Thing. These oldies hold up very well as plastic kits, although being inexperienced with armour I can't comment on accuracy.

peebeep