Spitfire Mk.XIVe

Hey Guys heres my latest build.

* Kit manufacture: Academy

* Scale: 1/48

* Type: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIVe

* Extras used: Lifelike Decals and Freight Dog Decals

* Paints and colours used: Vallejo model air Med sea grey, Xtracrylix Ocean Grey, Dark Green and Grey/Green for the Interior and Phils wash for the panel lines.

Spitfire MK.XIVe TB625 flown by W.O Murray J.C. Lind RAF No.485(NZ) Sqn Early 45. Built OOB apart from the life like decals a really enjoyable build and my first time spraying two tone camo. The only thing I need to remember is don't decal before you've finished painting and when your touching up paint used the correct paint, I spent a couple of minutes trying to work out why the Ocean Grey I was spray looked a touch pinkish in fact I was spraying Med Sea Grey :banghead: teach me to not look at the bottles properly before I spray.

SpitfireMkXIVe10.jpg

SpitfireMkXIVe07.jpg

SpitfireMkXIVe17.jpg

SpitfireMkXIVe02.jpg

SpitfireMkXIVe05.jpg

SpitfireMkXIVe06.jpg

nice aircraft. Even a colourful one, considering the fact that it is british

Hey Alex, there was a war on you know old chap!

You can be as colourful as you like when you're neutral ;)

i'm not going to tell KiwiSteve how cool it looks as i missed bagging one on ebay - now where did i put that sulky smiley

(That's two oxymorons in one post)

There was a lot of criticism of this kit, I always think it looks great built up though.

Yours is no exception, it looks great, love the paintwork and weathering, top notch stuff....

Have to start looking at mine agian..

Cheers guys thanks for the comments, I have to agree with OzH & LuisB even though there are a few issues with this kit for the price of it and how it builds up you can't beat it, I'll be buying some more in the future to add to the stash. :wub:

Kia Ora Steve,

Nice work on the Spittie, and always nice to see the Kiwis represented ;) you've done a real nice paint job and subtle weathering on it. Out of 10, I'd give it, ummmmm, a 9.999999999999999! :clap2:

Where did you get the info for Murray Lind's aircraft being a Griffon engined Spit? I knew one of his sons here in Hamilton a few years back, and he was showing me pics of his father in a MkXVI, which they've replicated in the Chch RNZAF Museum.

Cheers from Aotearoa

Mike A

• 11 months later...

Hey Steve, I know this is going to turn this thread into a Zombie, but I think I have a good reason to ressurect it from the dead....

I'm Murray Lind's son.

Hey Mike, how's things?

A couple of comments. And please don't think I'm being picky, just a bit of background info you might be interested in relating to the subject, not the build. (if that makes sense)

Firstly, niiice!! I wish mine turned out like that. Love the paint and finish.

However Dad's Spitfire (well, the one that he personalised) was a LF MkXVIe (Packard Merlin engine) and it's serial was TB675 not TB625 as is often reported. I think this comes from a book published here some years back by Gerard Morris in which it is incorrectly referenced as TB625.

485 sqdn never flew Griffon engined Spitfires.

TB675 was received by 485 sqdn from 74 sqdn where it was coded 4D-V. Photo's of this a/c sitting on dispersal at Twente? (I think) in May 1945 can be found on the net.

A couple of years ago I was in touch with Lifelike decals and they were going to change their sheets but I'm not sure if it ever happened.

Also I think the spinner was Black and White, not Red and White as I'm pretty sure 74 sqdn had Black spinners.

Anyway, just a bit of useless background info.

Nice to be here.

Edited by AlanL

Hey Steve, I know this is going to turn this thread into a Zombie, but I think I have a good reason to ressurect it from the dead....

I'm Murray Lind's son.

Hey Mike, how's things?

A couple of comments. And please don't think I'm being picky, just a bit of background info you might be interested in relating to the subject, not the build. (if that makes sense)

Firstly, niiice!! I wish mine turned out like that. Love the paint and finish.

However Dad's Spitfire (well, the one that he personalised) was a LF MkXVIe (Packard Merlin engine) and it's serial was TB675 not TB625 as is often reported. I think this comes from a book published here some years back by Gerard Morris in which it is incorrectly referenced as TB625.

485 sqdn never flew Griffon engined Spitfires.

TB675 was received by 485 sqdn from 74 sqdn where it was coded 4D-V. Photo's of this a/c sitting on dispersal at Twente? (I think) in May 1945 can be found on the net.

A couple of years ago I was in touch with Lifelike decals and they were going to change their sheets but I'm not sure if it ever happened.

Also I think the spinner was Black and White, not Red and White as I'm pretty sure 74 sqdn had Black spinners.

Anyway, just a bit of useless background info.

Nice to be here.

Hi Alan - not useless at all as you have corrected details for future modellers. Malcolm Lairds ventura book also shows your dad's crate as a Mk XVI (16) but with the red white-red-spinner ( if memory serves) and I thinkit also shows the code a OU-V too. ( so are you saying it wasnt re-coded when it changed hands?)

Thanks for the extra info. Having a Kiwi wife makes me extra interested in aircraft flown by New Zealanders, and I'd always fancied doing your dads aircraft, but never got round to it.

Jonners

Hi Alan - not useless at all as you have corrected details for future modellers. Malcolm Lairds ventura book also shows your dad's crate as a Mk XVI (16) but with the red white-red-spinner ( if memory serves) and I thinkit also shows the code a OU-V too.

Hi Jonners,

I supplied Malcolm with copies of the original photos of OU-V sitting at Fassburg. The colour scheme he had rendered (which I have on my wall) was his interpretation. We have no way of knowing if the "Rongotea" was shadowed in yellow for instance. The NZ Fernleaf sheild was definately in black and white. Several 485 a/c had the same sheild. It was copied from a tin of Fernleaf tobacco.

Also I don't know if the orange colour of the "V" sheild under the nose was orange or not (I'm thinking not) and I'm pretty sure this was already on the a/c when it was received from 74 sqdn.

( so are you saying it wasnt re-coded when it changed hands?)

Just the Squadron Codes (4D to OU) and when you think about it, why bother changing the a/c codes?

Thanks for the extra info. Having a Kiwi wife makes me extra interested in aircraft flown by New Zealanders, and I'd always fancied doing your dads aircraft, but never got round to it.

Jonners

No worries, I have the kit and decals here to attempt it in 1/48 myself. I believe there are some very good resin parts available for them too. I did have some links on my web browser but have since lost them

I'm pretty sure