Pacific Coast Models Spitfire

Hi Folks,

As promised in my poll, here are a few pictures of my PCM Spitfire, dodgy invasion stripes, silvered decals, bad construction and all. I bought the kit in July from Hannants on a trip to That London. (Think I might have seen Bob von Booby Buckle in there that day :-) )

yv873v.jpg

yv873w.jpg

yv8730.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone for all the nice comments about my Spitfire. :).

To answer a couple of questions, in the first place the kit is not "bad" per se, it's just a bit off here and there with the fit although the resin parts fit beautifully into the cockpit and wheelwells once they're separated from the pour stubs. It's nothing a little application of Modelling Skill (of which I have a seriously limited supply) and some Elbow Grease wouldn't solve.

To answer the second questionthe panel lines are incredibly fine and shallow, so I didn't do a wash because there was very little for the wash to flow into. It was an interesting and fun build, if a bit of a slog sometimes and it was the first time I'd used resin parts on a model. Would I build another? Maybe not, but it was a good way to expand the skills.

Edited by Simon Williams

It looks pretty darn good to me!

How did you find the kit? (as in "to build" not in the literal sense)

Sorry, I must have been editing my post as you were making yours. Put simply, there's no locating pins, quite a bit of flash on some of the parts, the plastic's a very shiny light blue, but it all fits if you take care, dryfit 3 times and be prepared to spend a lot of time sanding. Watch out for the fit of the upper wing roots (I shimmed mine with some plasticard at the leading edge) and sand down the radiator housings a little if you want them to fit in their slots. Don't forget to polish or Klear the canopies as they're a bit cloudy on the sprue.