DH Mosquito FB. VI

Seamus

Ok then, I'll be building this as an insurance policy should I not get the Harrier finished in time- Tamiya's excellent looking Mossie. This will be my first ever Tamiya kit, which I'm quite excited about, and should be grateful to our very own John who sold me the kit :thumbsup2:

First up then the obligatory box and contents shot:

DSCF5562.jpg

DSCF5563.jpg

The kit looks delicious on the sprues and I'm going to find it very difficult not to make a start on her during the day. Hopefully this will be a relatively quick build so I can focus more effort on the Harrier.

I'll report progress in due course

Cheers

Shaun :)

Cheers peeps :thumbsup2:

First progress then and work on the 'pit is done. Sprayed Hu 78 for the interior colour, then picked out the details in black before giving them a drybrushing with silver to give it all a bit of wear and tear. Some of the buttons and dials on the radio transmitter and receiver have been picked put in various colours and I've also added some (crude) belts from Tamiya tape in place of the decals.

DSCF5564.jpg

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5570.jpg

A couple of shots to show it dryfitted in place

DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5568.jpg

I've also sprayed up the undercarriage and bays in silver, which are now awaiting a wash. So far, this has been a joy; the detail for this scale is superb, and it practically builds itself. If all Tamiya kits are this good, I shall be buying some more methinks :lol:

Hope to get the main construction complete over the next day or so, which shouldn't be a problem given how well it goes together :)

Thanks for looking, comments and criticism welcomed

Cheers

Thanks Perry :)

Here's where she's up to now then and the main construction is complete. I must say, masking the canopy was fun :whistle:

DSCF5571.jpg

DSCF5572.jpg

Got a few joins to tidy up and need to apply a touch of filler to the port wing root where my scalpel got away from me and took a chunk out of the wing when I removed it from the sprue :doh:

Once everything is tidied up, I'll crack on with spraying the preshade and props

Comments welcome

Cheers

Cheers gents :thumbsup2:

Bit more progress then and after doing a spot of filling and sanding, I've sprayed the props and applied the preshade. Not my tidiest effort, but should suffice ;)

DSCF5752.jpg

DSCF5753.jpg

Still the joins on the underside of the engine nacelles to clean up, then should be able to start spraying the MSG undersides

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Lovely build, apart from the radio gear on the back shelf. Aparently it's elsewhere in the airframe on the fighters/trainers. I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Incidentally, the decals for the NFII give a nice roundel that's useful for Hurricanes in 1940.

Those Tamiya Mosquitos are by far the best in 72nd, although the Airfix kit is still a cracker with a new cockpit and wheels.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

Cheers chap. I had no idea the radio gear is inaccurate, shame really as it makes the cockpit look nice and busy. This really is a lovely kit, but I've let its reputation preceed it and been a bit careless in the construction of it, schoolboy error really.

Neverthless, here's where she's at. I sprayed the MSG undersides first, only to find the access hatch (?) on the underside hadn't been filled properly (the careless construction I was talking about :() So I had to strip the paint back, refill and respray. Eventually I got a finish I'm relatively happy with though it's still far from perfect. Took two days on and off to get this right. Much more productive day today, having sprayed the Ocean Grey and Dark Green camo on the upper surfaces. Still a bit of touching up to do, but overall I'm pretty happy with the finish.

DSCF5760.jpg

DSCF5761.jpg

DSCF5763.jpg

Next step is to spray the touch-ups before glossing her up in preparation for decals.

Comments and criticism welcomed

Cheers

Edited by Seamus

Thanks you two :)

John, I had a peak inside the box the day it arrived and from then on I couldn't wait to get stuck into it, it's a beautiful little kit :D

Here's the result of today's work then. I've applied three light coats of Klear, with a good polish with some micromesh in between coats. This is the first time I think I've managed a decent gloss coat without brushing the Klear on too wet and clogging up the recessed detail, so I think I'm getting the hang of it at last :lol: With the surface prepared, I've got the decals on this evening.

DSCF5765.jpg

DSCF5766.jpg

DSCF5767.jpg

Used the kit decals, which went on fine with some microsol, though I made a bit of a hash of the starboard 'keep off' box; I initially had it in slightly the wrong position and moved it after applying some microsol, so it's become a bit distorted. It aint perfect, but it'll just about pass methinks. Just need to apply a sealing coat of Klear then I can go about dirtying the old girl up a bit :D

C&C welcomed as always

Cheers

Thank you kindly Bex ^_^

Right, more progress, and in true Mr. Miyagi style...

Wash on....

DSCF5768.jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

Wash off.....!

DSCF5770.jpg

DSCF5771.jpg

I've also assembled and painted the undercarriage and props.

DSCF5772.jpg

I shall add to the weathering using some oils, just to redefine some of the preshade that has been lost. I also intend to spray some exhausts stains and have a couple of questions concerning them. Firstly, does anybody have any reference pictures of these stains? I'd quite like to get the shape and angle right. Also, I'll be spraying them with enamels on top of a Klear coat, so am I right in thinking that should I go wrong I can removed the paint with some white spirit without affecting the Klear or paint beneath?

Any help gratefully received :thumbsup2:

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Edited by Seamus

Well I've pushed on with this one this afternoon and completed the weathering. Dabbed some black oil paint along some of the panel lines just to enhance some lost preshade. Found a photo of a build on Hyperscale that showed the exhaust stains so went ahead and sprayed them; I used black mixed with a few drops of brown. Only the second time I've tried spraying stains this way, but I'm pretty happy with the results :D I also sprayed the staining from the cannons and machine guns in the nose.

DSCF5773.jpg

DSCF5775.jpg

DSCF5776.jpg

All that remains is a bit of detail painting before spraying the matt coat and completing the assembly, so hope to have thigs swen up sometime tomorrow

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated

Cheers

Thanks very much Grant :)

Sadly though, after spraying the matt coat that is no longer the case :( All is well on the underside

DSCF5777.jpg

And all seems well on top....

DSCF5778.jpg

But on closer inspection, the matt coat seems to have lifted some of the wash left over, producing this rather nasty effect :hmmm:

DSCF5780.jpg

I'm guessing the only option os to respray over the top, but either way I'm going to be left with a nasty, blotchy finish; shame as I was pleased with this one up to this point :(

Any comments or advice on how to sort this much appreciated

Thanks for looking

Cheers Mish, It looks to me that I sprayed the matt coat too heavily, which caused some of the leftover wash to run. Not happened to me before, but an absolute pain in the aris :confused:

I'll try and sort it, though I'm worried about getting a nice even finish. Anyway, that's something to think about tomorrow, not getting anything done with the monster hangover I've got :sick::lol:

Alrighty then, I think I've managed to sort things out :D

I've rubbed back the offending paintwork with some micromesh and simply resprayed very carefully over the top. Nearby decals were masked off just in case of overspray, but in the end it probably wasn't necessary. All that remains in to repsray some matt coat over the top to help blend it in with the rest of the paintwork. In the meantime I've attached the undercarriage, props and bombs, so she's essentially complete.

DSCF5784.jpg

DSCF5785.jpg

DSCF5783.jpg

Other than the matt coat, all that remains is to unmask the canopy and attach the wingtip nav lights. Just a quick question regarding these for those in the know, would they have been a coloured bulb, or would the glass/plastic surrounding the bulb have been coloured?

Also, you've probably noticed I've used some blue card as the background in an attempt to improve the photography of my models. It's an improvement in my untrained eyes, but any tips on how to improve things further would be much appreciated :)

Thanks for looking, comments welcome

Cheers

Other than the matt coat, all that remains is to unmask the canopy and attach the wingtip nav lights. Just a quick question regarding these for those in the know, would they have been a coloured bulb, or would the glass/plastic surrounding the bulb have been coloured?

Coloured bulb, clear cover. Nice recovery after tricky problem to deal with.

Also, you've probably noticed I've used some blue card as the background in an attempt to improve the photography of my models. It's an improvement in my untrained eyes, but any tips on how to improve things further would be much appreciated

Pics look great, look forward to completion pics in the gallery. Well done Shaun.

peebeep

Cheers Paul :thumbsup2:

I've now got the old girl finished. My canopy masking turned out to be a bit questionable, but overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I've tried to replicate the bulbs by painting the inside of the wings red and green, leaving the cover clear, though from some angles it appears the cover has been painted. Here's a couple shots of the finsihed article then, I'll post the rest in the gallery thread :)

DSCF5804.jpg

DSCF5819.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind comments throughout the build, much appreciated :D

Cheers