Saxon Warrior King with Sutton Hoo helmet

Nev

Picked this up at the Sutton Coldfield show as a birthday present from my boy - we went to Sutton Hoo earlier this year and he loved it, so he was quite excited to see this.

So far all I have done is clean up the parts and prime it with Halfords Grey Primer. A few little blemishes that will need filling, but there is also a small gap underneath the cloak on the left shoulder that might need some attention.

Really looking forward to painting this - my first "figure"!

IP1.jpg

IP2.jpg

And here is a replica of the famous helmet as worn by my son

Isaacmodel.jpg

Edited by Nev

Good, old, Mr Happy!

He had a brother, Mr FOrgetful, whom my daughter loved as a bedtime story.

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it was a great reminder.

Nice looking little puppet - should turn out nicely.

OK, I followed the advice I've read elsewhere "paint in the order you would get dressed" and did the flesh first. Base coat was a 50:50 mixture of Humbrol flesh and Khaki Drill. Then when dry I added a wash of Tamiya Brown in Klear/Future which also adds a glossy sheen to the skin

ip3.jpg

Then I did a dry-brush with Humbrol Flesh mixed with Light Stone. I've also started on some of the base colours for other items of clothing

ip4.jpg

Thankyou for the encouragement - now I have a question.

What colour do you suggest I paint his tunic? (Cloak is khaki, belt and scabbard will be emerald green)

ip5.jpg

ip6.jpg

Thanks for looking

he could have had purple as the romans used purple or poss red.

looks good so far.

keep up the good work

Edited by red glen

I followed the advice of someone on Historicus Forma and redid the chainmail - I repainted it in a darker metallic colour (Boltgun Metal from Games Workshop) then a black wash, then dry brushed with GM Chainmail.

For the tunic I decided to use a dark blue, but do I need to dry brush the highlights with a lighter blue do you think?

ip7.jpg

ip8.jpg

I've painted the basics of the helmet and scabbard, but they both need washes and highlights

ip9.jpg

ip10.jpg

The cloak I'm having more problems with - I did the inside first, but I'm really not happy with the look of it after washes/highlights, but i'm not sure what's wrong and how to do it right.

ip11.jpg

ip12.jpg

As ever, all comments, criticism, advice and encouragement welcome - thanks for all those who've replied so far!

I redid the chainmail with another black wash - I would repaint it with a much darker base colour and start again, but I'm afraid of obscuring the detail, so it will have to do for now. Also blocked in the belt and put lighter highlight wash on the tunic, although you can't really make that out.

ip13.jpg

ip14.jpg

I also had another bash at the cloak. Using the Khaki Drill base I added Khaki for the shadows and Israeli Sand for the highlights, thinned them, applied a coat, then tried to blend them in. The effect is quite subtle, but I was afraid of over-egging the pudding.

ip15.jpg

I also think I may re-paint the grass in a brighter base colour, bit dark I think. Couple more pics in different lighting

ip16.jpg

ip17.jpg

As always, advice, critcism and encourgement welcome! [:]

Nev: Your figure looks very nice....those were the days..eh?

Cheers,

ggc

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a long delay to apply the finishing touches and wait for some sun to take pics, here is Raedwald, King of the East Angles, believed to be the king to whom the famous Sutton Hoo helmet belonged.

final6.jpg

I've put more pics in the gallery

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21709

Edited by Nev