VULCAN!

mikeew

Well, I finally broke out the scribing tool and started on this huge chunk 'o' plastic with a full wing and fuselage rescribe.

It doesn't show too well in photo's so here are a couple to show whats happened so far.

I need to source some resin or white metal ejection seats then i can get on with the cockpit.

Next job though is the undercarriage and bays with all the etch i can get to fit from the Flightpath set.

I'm going with the Airfix markings for 617sqn in anti-flash white with the Bue Steel missile slung in her belly. I am hoping to get a nice tonal variation on the white finish so it looks good and a bit weathered as opposed to a blank white canvas and toylike.

vulcan001.jpg

vulcan002.jpg

Sorry - not a lot to show, but its one of the most tedious jobs out there.

Edited by mikeew

Good work on the scribing! A fine start with the ladder too.

I've just finished re-scribing a Monogram 1/48 B-58, and now am building the two extra cockpits - it doesn't feel like modelling at all, more like punishment....

I am hoping to get a nice tonal variation on the white finish so it looks good and a bit weathered as opposed to a blank white canvas and toylike.

Sorry - not a lot to show, but its one of the most tedious jobs out there.

Looking good Mike (and you can probably thank me that Flightpath put in the lower airbrakes!! I had to scratchbuild mine - an a very old SAMI article!!!) anyway enough blowing my own trumpet......and just a thought on the white finish (and not one I've been brave to attempt!) One of the modellers at our club, Neil Parsons, he was at the MMC show (it was his 1/24th scale Ju87 and 1/48th B17 in the competition) scratch builds/converts trucks - in fact he normally clears up at Telford! On one truck he scratch-built a white refrigeration unit and it looked like a real fridge. He actually gave it an undercoat of black before applying Halfords Appliance White - and it looked real!!

As I'm not brave enough to try it...maybe if you apply varying tones of grey before applying the white?

Just a thought......

Hmmm...sounds interesting Bill.

My thoughts are to use the same technique as Skii used on his TSR2, dark sea grey preshade and then progressive coats of white. I like Tamiya acrylic XF-2 Flat White as its very forgiving and sprays beautifully. This is the technique I used on my 1/48 Demon and Fury builds earlier this year.

Looking at Skii's TSR2, its a very subtle way of breaking up the overall white finish without being too stark.

Maybe the Halfords Appliance White over black would be a neat way of getting a good glossy white finish on something such as a sports car though. I'll bank that idea mate- thanks!

More etch added - to the wheel hubs. I used Klear as adhesive on these as it gives more alignment time when drying than CA, its quite strong enough especially once painted up. I also folded the IP into shape ready for paint, its a shame this can;t be seen when its finished. For this same reason i'll not bother sourcing replacement ejector seats, i'll just embelish the kit items using the etched pull handles on the flightpath set and some tamiya tape straps.

vulcanwip.jpg

I think I need a Flightpath set myself!! Looking really nice Mike, especially the ladder. Sometimes its a shame to put paint on cool stuff!!

I've got one & can recommend it. Might be expensive, but it's very useful :)

Many thanks for the comments people, I appreciate it. B)

I too would recommend the Flightpath set, on first look it can appear quite daunting as there is a lot of brass there, but in reality once you start working with it its a breeze and works exceptionally well.

I got some Gunze matt black on the u/c units and drybrushed Humbrol 79 Blue Grey to lift out that detail, really works IMHO :D

vulcanwip002.jpg

Been doing some more work this afternoon on the intakes, i sanded back the seams and filler on the insides and attached them to the lower fuselage part so i can fill/sand here when dry.

vulcanwip005.jpg

Also added copious amounts of lead shot in the nose with extra strong wood glue.

vulcanwip003.jpg

I added some strips of plasticard to reinforce the insert for the Blue Steel bay.

vulcanwip004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot to say really, there isn't much to the Vulcan kit in essence. After lots of scribing and rescribing and filling and sanding I finally have something Vulcan shaped siiting on my workbench. There is still some clean up work to do and I need to fair in the tail cone on the undersides with filler, but I have beaten the intakes into submission(I hope) and done all major rescribing. I now need to finish off prepping the body work and hope to get her primed midweek.

vulcanwip006.jpg