Submarine Hunter

Antoine

Back from work, I was loitering in one of my favourite bookshop in Paris, when my eyes were caught by the cover of this book.

Interested by the Gannet, I took the book, then saw on the cover that it was only about its service in the RAN.

Browsing through a few pages, I was quickly convinced, and took it to the cash desk(?).

Many pics, many crew stories, some very good color profiles.

The only drawback from my point of view is the lack of drawing plans.

I'm really lloking forward to read this books, as I know nothing about RAN FAA operations.

w9103.jpg

MMP

Synopsis

The ungainly-looking and unconventional Fairey Gannet served with several naval air arms in the 1950s and '60s, as a very effective carrier-borne submarine hunter. In this book the operation of the Gannet by the Royal Australian Navy's Fleet Air Arm is described, from the decision to adopt the Gannet, through initial training in the UK and onto operations from RAN carriers. The author has tracked down many pilots, aircrew, mechanics and deck crew, and they tell the story of the Gannet in their own words. The successes, failures, high points and tragedies are all described, with typical Aussie honesty and humour.

Fully illustrated, with many previously-unpublished photos, maps, cartoons and colour profiles.

:cheers:

Edited by Antoine