Panel lines

merlin101

Well... Mr Novice here pre-shades with a dark shade, then all but obliterates the dark color with the main coat. Once that's just right, and it can take a while to cover, I do the Klear/Decal routine, and then use a mixture of black/brown watercolor, cut with deionised water and a bit of flow-aid to give it some creep. I flood the panel-lines & recesses with that, and once it's dry rub the excess off with a damp cotton bud. It's quite an easy method, as if you bugger it up, just wash it off with water & start again :D Once you're happy, seal it with some mattcote, and do any ancillairy oil streaking with diluted oils, and/or pigment powders, then a quick dust of matt again to seal it...

It's early days for me yet, but it's worked so far ;)

HTH

I use a mixture of Tamiya Black and Future/Klear, brush painted on. I tend to vary how dark it is depending on how dark the subject is. A bit lo-tech, but works for this brush painter :)

I do a couple of thin coats of Klear. Let it dry for an hour. Then I mix 10/1 Natural Turpentine and a bit of Windsor and Newton Oil paints (usually burnt umber with a hint of black - I find black to stark) and gently dap it on. The trick is not to 'wash' it...that eats the Future and ruins the finish but to gently dab it on. The mix should be thin enough so that the paint moves along the panel line a short amount. This limits the amount of clean up and prevents any ruined paint jobs. I let it dry for an hour or two before using a dry cotton swab or tissue to wipe away the excess in the direction of the airflow :)

I use Peter Cooke's method. Finish the model, completely, including decals, then smear black Designer's Gouache over it. Wipe, in the direction of the airflow, with a damp rag (handkerchief, if you do your own washing!) It sounds revolting, but we've found that moistening the cloth with saliva has the best result, possibly because it's slightly sticky. Wiping with the airflow means that, like the real thing, colour builds up in lines that cross the airflow, but not in the fore-and-aft lines. Being water soluble, it's easy to wash the gouache off, if you don't like the effect, and have another go. With practice, it's possible to do oil streaks, with a dark brown, and exhaust stains.

Edgar