Very disappointed

spitfire

Got all excited this morning (must get out more), three modelling mags dropped through my letter box, grabbed a brew and had a quick scan through them, SAMI, SAM and Model Aircraft Monthly, but was very disappointed in the contents, apart from the Soviet Bostons, Boston III Airfile and Hurricane articles in MAM, there was nothing else to interest me. Have to wait for Military In Scale as that seldom disappoints.

Cheers

Den

I suggest Penthouse, Mayfair and Esquire
Men Only and Club International are good too...:) Seriously, it's frustrating when there are no articles you really 'dig' in a magazine, or, worse, when two magazines publish articles on the same kit, leading to a sense of deju vu!

Which one? (I'm guessing not Japanese Monsters Monthly?)

SAM, SAMI or both. The only bad thing is, the A-10 and S-3 stuff we were going to carry but no longer are made it in them :( I couldnt cath the publishers in time to keep them from going in. OH Well such is life. I did add the four new items onto the website though. The links are off but the images are there.

Mike

Oh and NO not Japanese Monsters Monthly you silly git!! :analintruder:

..having now made that trip into town ..I agree ...always worth reading whatever the subject matter.

However there is nothing in MAM - except an admission from the editor that there are a good deal of errors and mistakes in their mag ...(something to do with pressure of deadlines apparently )

Edited by FalkeEins

Got all excited this morning (must get out more), three modelling mags dropped through my letter box, grabbed a brew and had a quick scan through them, SAMI, SAM and Model Aircraft Monthly, but was very disappointed in the contents, apart from the Soviet Bostons, Boston III Airfile and Hurricane articles in MAM, there was nothing else to interest me. Have to wait for Military In Scale as that seldom disappoints.

Cheers

Den

Unlike yourself Den I found plenty in all of the magazines to keep me interested - you failed to mention the articles on Norwegian F5's and German F104's in MAM which I find interesting however, you mention the Soviet Bostons which frankly I'm idifferent to - I don't think I'll be rushing to read that particular article :sleeping:

It just goes to show that these magazines are trying to cater to a very diverse readership with wildly differing interests. I'd have been dissapointed if there was absolutely nothing in all three magazines but luckiliy for me this is not the case.

Just go to show its horses for courses. Next month it could be the other way round and there's not much for me but plenty for you! Could be worse - what if there were no magazines?

Wez

Wait a tick.......I hear some Two Mikes Reviews are in at least one Brit Mag so good news for me!!! My very first real reviews!! :analintruder:

Yes, - I've only seen SAMI so far Mike. Your intake guards and Eurofighter APU look good and get good reviews. Shame about the A-10 stuff - though one set is noted as being a US Nationals special so likely to run out fast. The lead time on material for the mags is often quite long. Hmm, must look up your site, I have a Viggen or two in stock to play with. At least one will have to have the guards on !

Wez : " Unlike yourself Den I found plenty in all of the magazines to keep me interested - you failed to mention the articles on Norwegian F5's and German F104's in MAM which I find interesting however, you mention the Soviet Bostons which frankly I'm indifferent to - I don't think I'll be rushing to read that particular article

It just goes to show that these magazines are trying to cater to a very diverse readership with wildly differing interests. I'd have been dissapointed if there was absolutely nothing in all three magazines but luckiliy for me this is not the case.

Just go to show its horses for courses. Next month it could be the other way round and there's not much for me but plenty for you! Could be worse - what if there were no magazines? "

I agree Wez - glad there is plenty of choice in mags, and its is horses for courses. That MAM will defintely get collared. RNoAf F-5s and Luftwaffe 1042, say no more. My favourite time period . Though I have a soft spot for the Boston, so......

I was rather surprised to see that no less than four reviews in SAMI were by the same person. Though that wasn't greed, just some juggling by the editor to meet space and other requirements. The reviews were submitted over a fair time interval. Guess how I know.

Jonathan - I agree. I still get SAM, but the reviews have rather fallen away over the last little while. That's not digging up others, just my feeling too. Mind you , I do miss Tailpiece - and Mike's occasionally eccentric reviews!

Yep it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things, plus diversity means that we might find something new to stimulate the old grey matter, it was just a bit disappointing at the time though.

Cheers

Den

Jonathan - I agree. I still get SAM, but the reviews have rather fallen away over the last little while. That's not digging up others, just my feeling too. Mind you , I do miss Tailpiece - and Mike's occasionally eccentric reviews!

I just wish the editor would edit and trim stuff down to what's necessary and what isn't, and then make sure the writers know that when they send their next copy in.

I just wish the editor would edit and trim stuff down to what's necessary and what isn't, and then make sure the writers know that when they send their next copy in.

Agree. Both with SAMI and elsewhere I've learned a lot seeing what an editor cuts out. Usually makes things punchier. I like to see stuff cut back, some folk feel insulted perhaps. I know I have a tendecy to verbosity if not checked !

Yep it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things...

Den

Yes, I don't need half a mag' on the Sudanese airforce personally, but I bet there are some small air force enthusiasts who lapped it up. Next months is some kind of civvy thing which is equally uninteresting to me, but again there'll be an audience for it I'm sure.

As was said, horses for courses.

Steve.

On the plus side though, the standard of modelling and photography has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.

SAM in the 80s and 90s was notorious for having blurry, out of focus pics, or a model plonked on a desk with an ashtray in view (!) - when compared to FSMs beautiful studio quality shots, or their editorial standards that would never let substandard photos reach print, the British magazines were a bit amateurish in that regard. It was the likes of Tamiya Magazine, Military In Scale and Scale Models that managed to drag things into the 1990s in terms of presentation.

Plus we now have a generation of younger modellers coming through who have cut their teeth on modern day modelling methods and know one end of a digital camera from another, so we get excellent step-by-step builds, beautiful photography and some great looking models.