* Matchbox 1/32 Bf109E:FINISHED

cmatthewbacon

Thanks Mish.

web.jpg

web.jpg

The engine is not detailed, to make sure it goes in! The cowlings are OK, taken a bit at a time. The prop and spinner are not fixed. I've blanked off the cannon port in the spinner, because the Galland aircraft I'm building is an E-4 with the cannon removed. The Techmod decals I have clearly show a blunt spinner. I've also emphasised the spine panel line... it's there on the real thing, and this isn't for any competition where people might judge me for not eliminating it!

Off-camera, I've primed the fabric control surfaces to tone down the ribs a bit and give them some texture.

bestest,

M.

Edited by Erwin

web.jpg

Starting to look like a 109 now! The fabric surfaces have had a coat of Halfords grey primer to tone down the ribs a bit and give them some texture. Mr Surfacer all over when the filler's dealt with. The filler is mostly on the bottom - I attached the wings to fuselage first, to get the top joint right, before adding the underside plate. The wheel wells have a sketch of the zipped canvas liner, but with lots to do at the moment, I'm not spending a lot of time on it!. I'm going to leave off the tail struts until later, to ease ainting and masking. The fit of the tailplanes is very solid. In fact, I'm very impressed with how well this fits together, as I was with the Havoc. It'd be a swine (like the Spit 22/24) to get the engine complete and inside removable, well-fitting cowlings, but either a complete engine with the cowlings off, or a stripped down version with the cowlings on seems reasonably straightforward...

bestest,

M.

web.jpg

...slightly hard to tell from this, but this is now all the main colours on. This is the RLM02. The yellow, schwarzgrun and RLM65 Hellblau are all under the tape! Once it's all off, there'll be some mottling to be done. IN the background, you can see the completed tailplane, exhausts and prop...

bestest,

M.

She's coming along nicely :thumbsup2:

Thanks, Mish... and now for the TA-DA!!! moment:

web.jpg

web.jpg

I know the the splinter demarcation should be a bit softer, but I rather like the contrast between the hard lines and the blurry mottle that is to come! If you look hard, you can just about see the preshade on the blue.

And so... let me get this straight: the Germans though that the RLM65 blue was too bright, so they applied mottle over it, and then they painted the nose BRIGHT YELLOW?

bestest,

M.

Ready for decals now...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I enjoyed doing the mottling! I bought a special handle for my Iwata Eclipse, mainly for the quick release chuck for cleaning the needle. But it also allows you to "pre-set" the needle for a certain amount of paint, effectively turning it temporarily into a single action brush. This allowed me to get a really light, small spray and build up the mottles without worrying about controlling the paint flow with the trigger. I'm doing this according to the Techmod instruction sheet which shows distinct blotches rather than soft overall "texturing". I like the effect, and the contrast with the splinter.

Some decalling tomorrow, I reckon!

bestest,

M.

Thanks, Mish...

This is where I am tonight:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The sharp-eyed will spot Galland's telescopic scope through the windscreen. Off-camera, the undercart is done, and will be attached after I've matt-coted this lot. The last "big-ticket" item is building the head armour for the canopy, but I have a cunning plan. The base is under way...

bestest,

M.

Thanks, Erwin...

I've been on the road for a few days, but I've managed to make a bit more progress. This'll be it for a week or so, though, because I'm heading away for half-term holidays. I'm not going to try to rush it at this stage! So apologies to the sweepstakers, but I won't have it completed by the deadline ;-(. It'll be finished by the end of the 1/2nd Nov weekend, but not by the Friday, which is when we get back...

Mattcote on, masks off, and a first look with Dolfo in the picture. There are still a few fragile details to add (like undercarriage doors!) and some final detail painting and weathering to do, but I reckon a couple more hours should see the aircraft finished, and an hour more the base...

web.jpg

web.jpg

bestest,

M.

Well... I had a lovely holiday, so I can't say I missed modelling while I was away. But I'm back on the case now!

Nearly there... a few tiny detail bits to add, and then some light weathering and we're done.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm aiming to finish it and get some photos in the daylight tomorrow...

bestest,

M.

A SUPER looking 109. Love the figure.Gives it an extra.

A well done job.

What I like about your build is that you dared not to fill the fuselageseam. Most of us would have filled it. But it looks good on yours.

Edited by Erwin