Sea Vixen XJ494 Restoration to ground taxi

seavixenxj494

Hey Every body ,

I Saw this part of the forum and thought it would be an ideal place to post a topic about my 'little hobby' restoring Sea Vixen XJ494 thought you guys might be interested so i will add a full history and some photos to the topic for you to have a look at.

Sea vixen XJ494 is the aircraft that is beeing restored by myself and other people at Ex-R.A.F BRUNTINGTHORPE, the aim for her os to be restored to a standard where she is safe to ground run and fast taxi.

XJ494 History.,

--XJ494 construction No 10021.

--First flown 14th April 1959 by Chris Capper from De Havilland Christchurch.

--Hatfield April 1959 for RED BEARD devolpment

--allocated to low altitude bombing system trialsflow again by Chris Capper from R.A.E WEST FREUGH (SCOTTLAND)

--A&AEE R.A.E BOSCOMBE DOWN April 1959

--De Havilland Hatfield for futher RED BEARD devolpment May 1959

--De Hatfield Hatfield January 1960

--R.A.E WEST FREUGH (SCOTTLAND)

--R.A.E A&AEE BOSCOMBE DOWN July 1960

--Royal Naval Yard Belfast for miodernisation 26th January 1962

--Aircraft handling unit R.N.A.S Yeovilton 1963

--Aircraft handling unit R.N.A.S Abbotsinch

--Aircraft handling unit March 1963

--C squadron A&AEE R.A.E Boscombe down June 1963

--R.N.A.S Lee-on solent- H.M.S DEADALUS June 1963

--H.M.S VICTORIOUS July 1963

--Aircraft handling unit Brawdy August 1963

--892 Squadron November 1963

-- DAMAGED IN MID AIR COLLISION WITH SEA VIXEN XJ522 March 1964

--damage repair April-August and back again in October 1964

--Royal Naval Aircraft Yard .Belfast for conversion to F.A.W-2 December 1965

--Aircraft handling unit R.N.A.S Yeovilton May 1967

--Aicraft handling unit Brawdy May 1967

--899 Squadron August 1967

--DAMAGED January-December 1968

--Aircraft handling unit R.N.A.S Yeovilton Febuary 1969

--Royal Naval Aircraft Yard Belfast October 1969

--Hawker-Siddeley Aviation Ltd Hatfield for MARTEL TRIALS December 1970

--DAMAGED December 1970 struck off naval charge 4th January 1971

--C squadron A&AEE R.A.E Boscombe down for MARTEL TRIALS August 1971

--Flight Refuelling Ltd Febuary 1974

--R.A.E Farmborough April 1974

--Finnaly into storage as part of Flight Refuelling program (aircraft not converted).

-- Purchased as part of the Sea Vixen Society and put on desplay at King Langly 4th December 1983

--Purchased By Pheonix Aviation Museum and moved to BRUNTINGTHORPE where she stands today undergoing restoration to ground run and fast taxi.

Druing 1968 No.22 joint service used for sea vixens (XJ475,XJ476,XJ481,XJ494) to form C Squadron A&AEE R.A.E Boscombe down for the evaluation or the Martel TV guided air-to-ground missile.XJ494 remained at A&AEE Boscombe Down until 1974 when it passed ot Flight Refuelling at R.A.E Farmborough for pontial conversion to a drone.This program was cancelled and eventually she was sold to Trout Lake, King Langley and moved by road for preservation december 1983. Then on 22nd June 1999 she went to BRUNTINGTHORPE AIRFIELD in Liecestershire wityh Phoenix Aviation Museum .,

vixen1.jpg

vixen2.jpg

vixen3.jpg

vixen4.jpg

vixen5.jpg

Enjoy ,

Steven Perriss.

Edited by seavixenxj494

Cool! and Sweet! (Just to annoy Rich :wicked: ) - glad you could join us and :welcome:

I think I may have actually climbed the boarding ladder for a squint into the coal hole of your aircraft at some point. You'll be a very handy man to know when I build my Dynavector kit at some point :wub:

If you've a walkaround we could publish, I can put some links to your site, to publicise it a bit - the gallery's not online just yet, but I'll be getting that done shortly, when the new version of the software is released :)

Hi Again,

I will be more than happy for you to post a walk around on the site i will arange pictures a.s.a.p. As far as the running is concerned it is a case of alot of time and a hell of alot of work we have hardly stsrated restoring her to ground run but thankfully we have just gained support from a aircraft techintion, we do have a time scale to follow we take the jobs as they come to us but as i have said there is more than enough work to be getting on with.

Many Thanks,

Steven Perriss