Pierre's Felixstowe F.2A, Roden 1/72

Madman

I cut out the cockpit frame and sand it down. A very delicate job indeed :)

Felixstowe-1_18.jpg

Then I insert the frame into its plug on the mold. I can now start cutting lengths of styrene.

Felixstowe-2_14.jpg

Edited by Madman

Part after part, still a long way to go! My eyes hurt and need to catch some zzz's...

Felixstowe-2_15.jpg

In between I built the tables for the nav maps and the radio. The glossy shine is done on purpose, as is was the pride of the various building factories to deliver high quality craftmanship.

Felixstowe-1_19.jpg

Scratchbuilding continues...

Felixstowe-1_21.jpg

These little clamps are really fantastic :)

Felixstowe-2_16.jpg

The bracings will consolidate the positions of the framing. The pins and the temporary bracing across the opening of the cockpit are to maintain all parts.

Felixstowe-3_8.jpg

A light coat of "Desert Yellow" to check that everything is right... and it is :)

Felixstowe-1_29.jpg

I glued both small tables behind the cockpit. The nav table received a reading lamp, maps and a home-made divider.

Felixstowe-2_23.jpg

Building of the dashboard, which will now be quite visible. I kept the brass surface unpainted, as I like it very much, but gave the backside a wooden finish.

Felixstowe-2_24.jpg

The backside, with the instrument housing. I drilled tiny holes to receive the wiring, and painted the stringers.

Felixstowe-3_9.jpg

And here is what one can see when the model will be finished. Much better than to close up everything :)

Felixstowe-1_30.jpg

Here comes my little sextant to go with the navigator's instruments :)

Felixstowe-2_25.jpg

In the plane:

Felixstowe-3_10.jpg

All right, sorry for the missing mirrors and angle scales... they will come on my next one, 1/144th :)

The entire assembly is soldered brass. The viewer is soldered last with a lower temperature solder.

Welcome to Cuckoo Land :)

This is NOT a stopwatch for navigation aboard the Felixstowe ;)

While I was attending the modelling exhibition, I had nothing better to do than to craft something free minded. I had with me some brass, a soldering station, scissors and a nail file.

Here is the result...

Felixstowe-1_31.jpg

And to practice on smaller parts I soldered a couple of pulleys for the Felixstowe, like this one.

Felixstowe-2_26.jpg

Well, I'm glad to see you are living up to your user name Pierre...!!! :wacko:

Those pulleys are just insane!! :blink: How on earth you can solder something that size totally & completely defeats me. I don't think I could even see to glue them....!!! :S

And that's a lovely little clock. Can't wait to see the cuckoo going in & out........ :whistle:

Keef

Here are the tools I use to solder

- a soldering station, with temperatures from 150°C to 400°C

- an insulation board

- liquid solder, bought somewhere on a flee market (I have no reference)

- various pliers or twizers.

Felixstowe-1_35.jpg

Soldering happens at 275°C. I add a small drop of solder to the backside of thess MG ammo boxes, still on their PE fret, and stick the handle through the other side.

Now I close the hot soldering tip next to where the solder is, and wait for it to melt (it turns into a shiny silver color). When I remove the hot tip, the solder hardens very fast (it turns matte silver)

Felixstowe-2_28.jpg

After soldering, the front side.

Felixstowe-3_12.jpg

After bending, a lovely ammo box :)

Felixstowe-5.jpg