Sea Hurricane 1B

gengriz

And another one added to the collection.

This is the Hobby Boss 1/72 Trop Hurricane, modified to represent an early Sea Hurricane 1B of 880 NAS, at HMS CONDOR, RNAS Arbroath in 1941. Not a bad little kit considering its price and target market. A bit skinny though, and the fuselage sides are too flat/slab like (probably a limitation of the one-piece moulding process). Detail is nice, but very lightly engraved, which did not go well with my normal oily wash technique. Cannon removed, wings rescribed, scratch built hook added using the Revell Sea Hurricane IIc as a template.

Started Saturday night; finished Wednesday night.

website updated too

P6210228-1.jpg

Edited by gengriz

Here's a Hobbyboss 1/72 P-47D that I've just finished for a review build in one of the UK-based modelling magazines:

It's nowhere near as good as the Revell AG 1/72 P-47D, but for a weekend project for a young modeller, it's just fine. Also, the fuselage sides are nice and curved where they should be, so I don't think it's moulding limitations that are the cause of the lack of curvature on the Hurricane.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris, that looks good - and it would look even better in RAF India Command markings (which I now happen to have spare from the Hurricane - damn; musn't go anywhere near the LMS this weekend or I might succumb!)

Based on yours, it obviously isn't a moulding limitation, although I guess it could still be a "cost of mould" making limitation. They are nice little models though - definitely strongly recommended for those starting the hobby.

FredT

Edited by gengriz