384BG Assembly Ship

lampie

Peebeep asked me to post a few photos of my 1:72 B-17F Assembly Ship that he saw at Medway.

If the Aeroscale Logo is a problem I'll remove them, but I did ask :)

Cow_16.jpg

Cow_1.jpg

Cow_8.jpg

Cow_9.jpg

The kits the academy B-17F.

All the markings are painted on using Miracle Masks and the only decals are the individual numbers that make up the serial number.

Nige :pilot:

• Like 2

Wow! painting that scheme would have sent me dotty!...sorry couldn't resist.

Great result Nige.

I have not heard of Miracle Masks, what are they and where do you get them?

:cheers:

Edited by TrojanThunder

My congrats on a great job on what had to be a very hard paint job I mean at best its spotty :whistle: I'll bet no one volunteered to fly that nightmare...

You mean there are OTHER MODELLING FORUMS OUT THERE? :gobsmacked:

^_^

Hey Boss, theres quite a few :tease::tease:

Ive seen this Spotty Bird in the flesh a few times and each time I see it it still impresses me, and having seen Nige's other handy work, namely 3 Thunderbolts its a case of :gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked:

Bex

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Yes, it did send me dotty and if you join them up you get a Looney Toons character,,ie ME! :)

The masking part was very easy.

Paint B-17 blue, add approx 700 6mm circle Miracle Masks. Gradually mist on about 2 bottles of Tamiya white et voila!

Miracle Masks website link below.

http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

B-17 Assembly ships were certainly in the minority compared to the B-24 Bomb Groups. Naturally any B-17 vet will tell you thats because the B-17 crews had better navigators and pilots :) I doubt the Liberator guys would agree.

Anyone interested in Assembly Ships, (also known as Judas goats) will find this new book from Kekay an essential purchase.

kecay_8af-assy-ships-cover.jpg

Due to work commitments Im afraid it wont be at Telford. 2 years in a row Im missing SMW. Just something else to put on the list of things I'll do all the time when I retire,, :)

Its the first time Ive ventured into the "Big Friends" side of things as I have more than a passing interest in Thunderbolts. As anyone who knows me will be aware, I started the Aeroscale P-47 SIG last year.( soon to be getting its own website)

Nige :pilot:

Edited by lampie

Paint B-17 blue, add approx 700 6mm circle Miracle Masks. Gradually mist on about 2 bottles of Tamiya white et voila!

Miracle Masks website link below.

700 6mm circular masks??? Strewth!!! :blink::hypnotised:

Well worth it though, because that's a verrrrry :speak_cool: build!!

Great work!

Keef

kecay_8af-assy-ships-cover.jpg

Good read,got from my local library that has its own area dedicated to the 8th Air Force.

Ive got acouple of old 72nd B-17 and B-24's i may have to dig out in the near future,i'm very tempted with Seething's 448BG B-24H "The Striped Ape" in the maroon and yellow!!

Edited by mungo1974