Leuchars Today

markc

Unfortunately the weather was not that kind to us today and the cloud base never really lifted above 1000ft so severely curtailed the flying activities, with both the Vulcan and the Hunter being restricted to fast taxis and the rest to flat displays and a series of fast and slow passes. However both Diane and I had a good day out and I thought I would share a few of the photos of the static (and almost static) displays that I got. The almost refers to the Vulcan, which after the taxi runs parked up right on the crowd line with the pilot and crew getting out and spending some time chatting to us mere spectators.

I've selected images which I thought were interesting, unusual or that I just liked . I also hope you like them.

Vulcan.jpg

First the grand old girl herself

TyphoonBoardingLadder.jpg

Typhoon integral access steps

HarrierMaverick.jpg

Maverick on Harrier

ECMpodOutboardF3.jpg

ECM/Flare pod on outboard pylon of Tornado F3

JP3.jpg

JP3 - My current build so interesting to me

Griffin.jpg

Griffin

Gazelle.jpg

Gazelle

Harierintakedetails.jpg

Harrier Intake details

F3Pylon.jpg

Tornado F3 pylon

Unfortunately I only have a happy snappy digital camera so no good for flying shots. Must upgrade at some point. I'm sure others that were there will add some more action based shots soon.

Cheers for now

MarkC

Edited by markc

Looks like the weather has affected yet another airshow this year :raincloud: Damn shame; In 20 years of going to airshows, I've never known a season like it :fraidnot:

Still, you've got some nice static shots there, but obviously the Vulcan is the pick of the bunch :wub:

Well, the weather pretty much killed the flying display due to the low cloud

Casualties included

BBMF

Venom and Vampire

AAC Lynx

and of course the Vulcan which was reduced to fast taxi. Most of the displays were reduced to single passes and were very drawn out due to ATC restrictions. Highlights for me were the Apache and Lynx HAS.3 although the rest of the aircraft did not lack for effort against the weather especially the Red Arrows and an E-3D made a touch and go before returning to Waddington. I took lots of detail pics especially of Typhoon inner pylons :evil_laugh: and Harriers.My camera is also designed for close work but I had a stab at the flying display.Met Weegie602 who valiantly worked at the Wonderland stall and was constantly besieged throughout the day.

Vulcan1.jpg

As far as the Vulcan got

Tucanodisplay.jpg

Tucano display

Typhoondisplay.jpg

Typhoon display

Typhoonpylon1.jpg

Typhoon pylon

TornadoGR4A2sqn.jpg

Some RAF nose art

Stephen

I was working the airshow yesterday and haven't long finished work today.

Unfortunatly I was off the unit for most of the day ferrying a pilot who couldn't land at Leuchars.

He landed at a small grass strip a few miles from St Andrews but the weather was worse than it was back at camp so he didn't get to display either .

Couldn't resist the pictue, could almost be sitting in a field in France waiting for its next sortie.

The rest were a quick run up the line when I got back to camp.

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSCF0562.jpg

DSCF0563.jpg

DSCF0566.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0574.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0577.jpg

DSCF0581.jpg

DSCF0584.jpg

DSCF0585.jpg

DSCF0589.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Superb shots ol' man. The head on shots of the Vulcan and Buff are pure wizardry. :hmmm: Maverick on Harrier.....is that near Stratford on Avon... :whistle:

Edited by Angels49