Airfix Trident from 1980

PetrOs

Hey

Today a package with a number of kits won on ebay arrived, and between those, I found an Airfix Trident kit dated 1980, in originally sealed parts bag and with just some minor scratches and tape rests on the box sides. I just wonder if this kit is worth more then the 8 euro I paid for it? (or shall I build it) ;)

Cheers

Petr

Petr; it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it....find the "right" buyer and you make a profit...probably would look good in de stash until then...

Cheers,

ggc

Hey

Today a package with a number of kits won on ebay arrived, and between those, I found an Airfix Trident kit dated 1980, in originally sealed parts bag and with just some minor scratches and tape rests on the box sides. I just wonder if this kit is worth more then the 8 euro I paid for it? (or shall I build it) ;)

Cheers

Petr

It's not overly collectible, you may make a modest profit on your outlay - but I would not be booking your dream holiday, quite yet.

Marty...

You have to build a "Gripper" one of the pioneers in Cat 3 landings !!

if it wasn't for these planes we'd all be bugging to our alternates pronto !!

The only really collectable ones are the original release in the early sixties (BEA red square) ..

Cheers,

Andy

But as I said Andy, I've even watched two of those finish for around a tenner recently, so maybe there really is a credit crunch....!! :D

Keef

PS - how's that Sperrin doing....??? :whistle:

PPS - Two Six also do BEA Red Square & SpeedJack decals;

http://www.lycoseshop.co.uk/epages/twosixd...roducts/STS4434

http://www.lycoseshop.co.uk/epages/twosixd...roducts/STS4401

Edited by keefr22

Its one of those planes/kits that people will pay a good amount, even if its not rare. Its mostly to do with that they really like the plane/kit.

I am the same way with my Il-96M. The EE kit is OK, but I'm building it just because its the only choice and I really like the plane.

Keef , I've pm'ed you with more stuff, just to say, yes the credit crunch is biting , saw a Frog Valiant go for 35 quid the other day , so there is always an up side to everything ! except for the fact that I have 2 in the collectables stash that I was saving for retirement :lol:

These Tridents are quite common really, even the first series.( I've got one of the first issue).

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

The very first type 3 "red square" boxing is probably the most collectible, this shows a BEA "red square" machine above cloud base flying away from the viewer. Later boxings show the aircraft on the ground in front of a terminal. An even later version had the same view but with a "speedjack" livery instead of the "red square" one superimposed onto the machine.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

• 2 weeks later...

To echo what Marty has said, the original boxtop for the Trident in the Red Square markings was REALLY attractive, and one of the nicest Airfix Airliner boxes, along with the original BOAC 747.

Earlier Tridents have a 'builders value' rather than collectors value in that the later releases excluded the rows of cabin windows from the transparency sprue. Earlier editions include it so those who prefer to use decals for these transparencies have an instant filler for the open apertures, rather having to fill them in a slightly more laborious manner.

Earlier Tridents have a 'builders value' rather than collectors value in that the later releases excluded the rows of cabin windows from the transparency sprue. Earlier editions include it so those who prefer to use decals for these transparencies have an instant filler for the open apertures, rather having to fill them in a slightly more laborious manner.

Hmm, dry-fitting the transparencies I can only say that it'd be more labour to fill it, then the resin-over-the-tape technics I used on the A319 now on my table. I put a 18mm tamiya tape on the outside, and then poured some 2-component-poliester-filler-resin from the local Do-it-yourself store from the inside. I let it dry for half an hour, added 2-3 drops of liquid putty where the bubbles have formed, and put a swipe or two from a sanding stick, and it was it. not visible under the primer at all...

To echo what Marty has said, the original boxtop for the Trident in the Red Square markings was REALLY attractive, and one of the nicest Airfix Airliner boxes, along with the original BOAC 747.

Agrred. It was the first airliner kit I built in the late 1960's. I think it cost 4/11 (less than 25p)!

Tony :clif:

PS. Build it, it's a lovely model of an Iconic British airliner.

Edited by Tony Honour

Hmm, dry-fitting the transparencies I can only say that it'd be more labour to fill it, then the resin-over-the-tape technics I used on the A319 now on my table. I put a 18mm tamiya tape on the outside, and then poured some 2-component-poliester-filler-resin from the local Do-it-yourself store from the inside. I let it dry for half an hour, added 2-3 drops of liquid putty where the bubbles have formed, and put a swipe or two from a sanding stick, and it was it. not visible under the primer at all...

Nice, ok, will give that a shot soon.

Jesse

Nice, ok, will give that a shot soon.

Jesse

Yeah, try it. Important is - let the bubbles out! I just took a coffee stirring stick and ran it along the window row many times from the inside, so the bubbles are ripped open and resin can flow in from the sides. I had only something like 5 visible bubbles this way.

And the Trident would definitely look fine in company with the other contemporary trimotors - Tu-154M and Boeing 727-200 ;)

Edited by PetrOs

Hi chaps , if you want a really nice, accurate (and a bit pricey!!) Trident 3B look no further than the F-RSIN kit , it's a beauty... and not surprisingly a lot more accurate than the old Airfix, (lovely kit as it was/is , built loads as a nipper !!)....

If you want a look, go to www.f-rsin.com

cheers,

Andy

Hi chaps , if you want a really nice, accurate (and a bit pricey!!) Trident 3B look no further than the F-RSIN kit , it's a beauty... and not surprisingly a lot more accurate than the old Airfix, (lovely kit as it was/is , built loads as a nipper !!)....

If you want a look, go to www.f-rsin.com

cheers,

Andy

I love the look of F-RSIN kits - except I can't build airliners with decal cockpit windows! I can live with decal cabin windows, but my pilots must be able to see out (doesn't matter about the talking cargo!!) At one time F-RSIN were talking about doing separate clear resin flightdecks (in the Minicraft stylee), but that idea seems to have disappeared. Shame really as they do some great subjects I'd like to build.....

But I digress. Back to the Gripper..... :D

Keef

I love the look of F-RSIN kits - except I can't build airliners with decal cockpit windows! I can live with decal cabin windows, but my pilots must be able to see out (doesn't matter about the talking cargo!!) At one time F-RSIN were talking about doing separate clear resin flightdecks (in the Minicraft stylee), but that idea seems to have disappeared. Shame really as they do some great subjects I'd like to build.....

But I digress. Back to the Gripper..... :D

Keef

Kurt Lehman's (Authentic Airliners) fantastic kits has this included. The whole front part

is made in clear resin. But he has not any Trident's in his range.....

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Well, if you really want that, It should be no problem to carefully saw off a portion of a fuselage around the cockpit, and make a copy of it using the transparent resin..

Kurt Lehman's (Authentic Airliners) fantastic kits has this included. The whole front part

is made in clear resin. But he has not any Trident's in his range.....

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Hi Ruben,

Yes I know, but I mentioned Minicraft instead, as unfortunately they are now more in my price range than Kurt's fantastic kits!

All the best

Keith