Wolf hunts the Bear

Murdo

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I wasn't quite sure where to post it as it aint a tank or a plane... :confused:

This is a horribly long post too… :blush:

Many months ago, having built the Airfix 1/72 Bristol Bloodhound Anti-Aircraft Missile I wanted one in 1/35th scale. Not being prepared to fork out about £90 for a kit I decided to try and scratch build one... My first ever scratchbuild. I must have been insane! :mental:

I love the streamlined, evil look of brooding menace this Missile has!

The Bloodhound was a Cold War Missile found on RAF bases all over the world and was designed to take out Soviet Bombers (Bears) at an incredible speed long before they got anywhere near their target. Thankfully it was never used in anger. :nuke:

My thanks to my good friend Steve (Barv) who recently passed away and without whose incredible expertise and persistent nagging this would never have been started, let alone built. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Here are the build pics and final result.

The Wolf hunts the Bear!

Bloodhound084Large.jpg

The start:

Bloodhound016Medium.jpg

Bloodhound008Medium2.jpg

Bloodhound049Medium.jpg

At this point I discovered that, whilst it looked correct from the few pictures I had obtained… I had in fact constructed the launcher BACKWARDS! :wall:

Thanks to Barv and the RAF Museum at RAF Hendon for the diagram which showed where I'd gone wrong.

So, back to the drawing (and cutting) board.

Rebuilt Hydraulics unit to correct dimensions, rebuilt launcher rail and added Missile support struts. Made hydraulic connectors for hoses. Blue tacked together to see how it looks.

Bloodhoundbase006Medium.jpg

With wiring and hydraulic hoses added

Bloodhoundbase018Medium.jpg

Bloodhoundbase022Medium.jpg

And now for the missile.

Nicked one of my kiddies pens which was the correct diameter and made tapered body from plastic tube. Then shaped warhead cone from Balsa.

Bloodhound066Medium.jpg

Fins and tail fins made from plastic card. RamJets made from tubing with tapered cone from candle glued inside. Boosters and fins made from flat card, tubing and sharpened pencil heads.

Bloodhound071Medium.jpg

Bloodhound074Medium.jpg

Missile test fitted to Launcher. Looking okay so far. :winkgrin:

Bloodhound033Medium.jpg

Painted Launcher.

Bloodhound003Medium.jpg

Front and rear Launcher “plumbing”

Bloodhound007Medium.jpg

Bloodhound006Medium.jpg

Painted Missile then made a small base from an old picture frame. Added model railway grass and wet and dry sandpaper for the tarmac and scratched a small field telephone for the left of the barrier.

IMG_7018LargeMedium.jpg

The view them pesky Russkies didn’t ever want to see. :evil_laugh:

IMG_7026LargeMedium.jpg

And finally, next to a 1/35th Chally 1 for size reference. It really is a big beast!

IMG_7041LargeMedium.jpg

Hope you like it. :beer:

Saw this on the table at Glasgow show on Saturday and I must admit the photo's just don't do it justice, this is a work of art when seen in the "plastic" - Absolutely beautiful, even more stunning now that I know it's all scratchbuilt!! Awesome piece of work.

Brgds,

Eng

Very Nice!

Must admit I have been tempted by the Airfix one, but this large scale scratchbuild is just sublime.

:cheers:

Duncan

Very Nice!

Must admit I have been tempted by the Airfix one, but this large scale scratchbuild is just sublime.

:cheers:

Duncan

Thanks mate! The wee Airfix 1/72 job is very nice. Add a couple of bits of cheap tubing (e.g. plastic or rubber wiring) some model railway grass, wet and dry sand paper, a dod of paint and...

Img_4529-1.jpg

IMG_4528Large.jpg