richc's JASDF F-104J build

AnonymousFY21

Before anyone comments, yes I know it's a G and it should be a J, but I have a master plan :evil_laugh: .

Not sure whether I will use the Aires burner can yet, as the kit one is quite good and I would like to do this close to OOB, with just a few scratch built mods to seat and u/c bays.

The obligatory box shot:

104start.jpg

the TwoBobs decals are really nice, but I have a slightly smudged roundel that Hannants have offered to replace. Trouble is it means sending the sheet back and s*ds law says that they will have run out by the time they get them back and they are no longer available from TB, so I think I will just live with it. The sheet has enough decals to do two a/c, so AndyL is getting the remainder of the sheet, once we have agreed who is doing what. I am reluctant to do too much Natural Metal :door: , but hey nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have been beavering away since I got the kit last week. So far I have sprayed the wheels, assembled the main gear bay and sprayed it. I have also started to mod the bang seat, but have lost patience and started the pit tub and instrument panel.

The kit is pretty good, but my fuselage halves are like bananas :yikes: . I assume this is normal?

Anyway progress so far, the instrument panel.

instrumentpanelf104.jpg

It's not perfect, but I am pretty chuffed as I nearly bought the Eduard pre-painted one. It actually looks better in the flesh, the only thing that bothers me is the colour. Somebody gave me the correct FS number for US pits, but it looked way too dark when compared to all my refs regarding J's. I have however now found more pics that could back up the original suggestion :wacko: .

To Be Continued...................

rich

Edited by richc

• 3 weeks later...

Since Andy has ploughed on I thought I had better update a bit :hobbyhorse: .

The burner can is painted with Alclad 'Jet Exhaust' with light dry brushing with Humbrol 'HU11' to bring out some of the molded detail. Didn't go too far down as most of it disappears into the fuselage.

Undercarriage bay in, and painted with a base coat of Alclad 'Duralumin'. I may add extra pipes later on and will post shade a little with other Alclad colours.

The flame holder, burner ring and turbine section have been assembled and installed.

The wheels have been Alclad coated in different colours to try and represent the fact the brake side will get hotter during use. Both sides will be dry brushed in a lighter silver later on.

104_1.jpg

The cockpit has been re-painted in the correct shade of Gunze 32631 :guitar: , panels were picked out in Xtracrylix 'Night Black' and then washed with Phils 'Light wash'. A little dry brushing was then done and some switches and levers picked out in yellow and red. The F-104 pit is pretty drab in reality, so I didn't want to go overboard and make it look to gaudy :S . Gauges were picked out and filled with clear and they look a lot better in the flesh than in the pics.

I have added some extra detail to the side panels as these areas are quite prominent and wrong in the kit, as it stands.

The rear bulkhead was just 'Kleared' then washed with 'Dark wash' and again, lightly dry brushed.

104_2.jpg

The bang seat is being modified with some extra detail and scratch built harnesses. The undercarriage will have a little extra detail in the form of brake pipes and clamps.

Well better get on with making corrected Canberra tailplanes for the Airfix kit :wicked:B):whistle: . Hi Mike :bye:

To Be Continued...............

Only a small update, I'm being left behind by Karl and Jen rapidly.

The fuselage has been zipped up and wings attached, with a little filler where needed.

_D2X6357.jpg

_D2X6345.jpg

Now primed, minus the intakes. These need painting silver inside with a black intake spike. I may make intake covers, as the fuselage is visible from the front of the intake and looks pretty pants.

_D2X6360.jpg

Ready for the undercarriage bay to be repainted and the airbrake housings need a dash of silver.

_D2X6366.jpg

rich

To Be Continued.......... eventually

Gotta love Hasegawas intakes huh Rich?? :shithappens:

Looks like you and I will finish about the same time. I will be painting the F-1 this weekend!! Its been real hectic on my end to get much done of late.

Your Zipper will look sweet I am sure. Whats that Phantom next to it??

Hi mike

It's and old ESCI F-4C/J. I threw it together about 15 years ago, but never painted it. I pulled it out to use as a practice tool for getting used to Phils wash and Xtracrylics, amongst other things such as pre/post shading. Took loads of filler, so I also got a good intro to rescribing.

It needs an Eduard F-4E set to put in the pit (they don't do a D or C in 1/72nd) and the ancillary stuff painting, then decal application and it will be finished. It's a bit rough around the edges and several pitot tubes and the fuel dump are missing, but it will look like a Rhino.

rich

Well a little more progress. Seem to have taken two steps forward and six back so far.

The canopies are just sitting there, they need bonding on and masking. Not sure how to do it yet, can see them pulling off with the masking tape :shithappens: .

Still getting primer pulling off despite following all the good advice given on here :crying: .

I am just going to throw it together now, got bored after having to fill the intakes and re-scribe all the rivets on the tail end. I am guessing they sub-contracted the Trumpeter riveter. I hate to say it, but the detail is way overdone. The real things look clean, even close up.

It's had pre-shading, but I intend to get rid of most of that with the top coats and post shade.

_DSC3098.jpg

Note to self:

Pull finger out, karl and Jen have finished.

rich

To Be Continued......................., maybe. Hammer locked and loaded :deadhorse: .

• 4 weeks later...

Progress at last despite the primer problems, it feels the end is in sight and I might make Telford with it.

1-1.jpg

As it stood yesterday.

2-1.jpg

As of 20 minutes ago.

Ready for Klear coat and then decaling Sat and Sunday.

Lots of ancillary stuff to do. The bang seat needs doing and the wheels assembling, but I think I can get it ready for Friday..

rich

Thanks Mike and Mish.

I have a special lens on my camera that makes everything I do look better than it is :photo: .

If you ever need anything ickle turning, just shout Mish. Actually in many ways I wish I didn't have it. It was my fathers, but he retired and is now too ill to use it himself, just when he should be enjoying making models himself.

rich

Edited by richc

Well a little more progress.

Just waiting to give the whole model a final Klear coat, then matt it down and add all the bits I haven't done yet :analintruder: .

_DSC1486-1.jpg

Couldn't find the nose, wheel this morning. Looked everywhere, finally finding it hiding under the desk, being coveted by the carpet monster. Relieved I picked it up to find gouges all over it :crying: . It looks as if a little mouse thought it would make a nice snack. First evidence of meeses I have seen in three years, but the house is over 100, so I guess they may be all over the place.

I tried to cast a new one from a spare, but that went wrong, as my RTV has finally gone off. So it wont be at Telford, but I hope will make the 19th, JUST. I am trying to repair the damaged wheel, as only the tyre was knackered, the rim is fine.

I also have some serious issues with the decals, but I won't air that here.

rich

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got round to doing the bit I was dreading most, The bang seat.

The Hase one is ok, but just needs a little tarting up. Added a few small bits, to make it look busy. this is how it looked this morning.

DSCN0062s.jpg

This is what it ended up looking like

DSCN0065s.jpg

DSCN0067s.jpg

And finally in the Zipper

DSCN0073s.jpg

DSCN0081s.jpg

Just a few small bits to do. Should be finished by tomorrow.

rich