Lightning info wanted.

bentwaters81tfw

Lightnings T Mk4s serials XM989 and XM992 were issued to RAF Wattisham. One of these was issued to 56 squadron at the time (1965) they formed the 'Firebirds' aerobatic team in that wonderful red and NMF scheme. Does anyone know if 1. it was painted to match the single seaters, 2. what was the a/c identity letter, and, 3. which a/c was it??

Have exhaused my resources, and the Thunder and Lightniings site, but to no avail!

TIA

Frank

It's a curious thing, isn't it? I'm a props man at heart but I have three Lightnings built in 72nd scale, several more stashed, I'm about to embark on another F6 build and I shall try and pick up one or two Airfix 1/48 jobbies. When the Trumpy and Academy 72nd kits come out I'll probably get a bucketful, but I'll draw a line under 1/32, unless...

The Lightning seems to do that to you.

peebeep

XM989, coded X is your bird and yes it looked just like a Firebird, red spine and tail, checker board nose and red LE's . My source is Ian Black's 'Lightning' and there is a fab colour photo a few pages in.

peebeep

Photo of the tail in Lightning Strikes by Martin W Bowman. All of 56 Squadron is lined up, 10 of them with red tails.

It was considered for this project - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18289

XM989/X is the second aircraft.

The Lightning seems to do that to you.

peebeep

Me too i'm a prop man :thumbsup2: The first time i got up close and personel to a lightning was about 4yrs ago at old RAF Binbrook where they showed me around a lightning which is stored up there then sat my son in it :hypnotised: then we stood back a watched them start her up.. MY GOD did it make my hair stand up :heart: loved them ever since. Made four 1/48 and three 1/72 lightnings and i can't wait til' Trumpeter brings that 1/32 goddess out.

ian.

I have maybe a dozen of the beasts, either Airfix or Hasegawa in 1/72, plus some Matchbox T55s and a couple of resin T bird conversion fuselages. Also the Maintrack conversion with the small belly tank and small fin for a P1B. Made a P1 earlier this year from the FROG kit with parts from Airfix and Aeroclub.

Lightnings T Mk4s serials XM989 and XM992 were issued to RAF Wattisham. One of these was issued to 56 squadron at the time (1965) they formed the 'Firebirds' aerobatic team in that wonderful red and NMF scheme. Does anyone know if 1. it was painted to match the single seaters, 2. what was the a/c identity letter, and, 3. which a/c was it??

Have exhaused my resources, and the Thunder and Lightniings site, but to no avail!

TIA

Frank

Here's a (b&w) photo Frank....T4 XM989/"X" RAF 56Sqn "Firebirds"

I'd say that this was most likely a year or two earlier than '65 - that was when 56 converted onto F3's from F1a's.

Incidentally I've never seen any references to their T5(s) (which they had when converted to the F3) having the same [as the F3] Red/White chequerboard tail....