Using acrylics and enamels

bunnylurve

Evening all...

Can someone, anyone, please tell me is it safe to use both acrylics and enamels on the same model?

Some bloke told me that the two will react with each other if applied in a certain order, but he could not remember if it was enamels on acrylics, or acrylics on enamels!

Is this true or just a kingsize load of bovine excrement? I is sooo confused... :confused:

I'm afraid it's true - if enamels and acrylics come together on the same model it's like mixing matter and anti-matter ........ the universe as we know it will cease to exist :analintruder::analintruder:

OK serious now - as enamels are "hotter" than acrylics, when painted over acrylics they will "bite" into the acrylic and as they dry and shrink will cause the underlying acrylic to wrinkle thus wrinkling the enamel top coat :( So enamel over acrylic = BAD

However as acrylics are not as "hot" as enamels and do not dissolve the enamel to "get a grip" you can happily put acrylic layer(s) over a dry and cured enamel coat with no problems :D So acrylic over enamel = GOOD

HTH,

Ian

I'm afraid it's true - if enamels and acrylics come together on the same model it's like mixing matter and anti-matter ........ the universe as we know it will cease to exist :analintruder::analintruder:

OK serious now - as enamels are "hotter" than acrylics, when painted over acrylics they will "bite" into the acrylic and as they dry and shrink will cause the underlying acrylic to wrinkle thus wrinkling the enamel top coat :( So enamel over acrylic = BAD

However as acrylics are not as "hot" as enamels and do not dissolve the enamel to "get a grip" you can happily put acrylic layer(s) over a dry and cured enamel coat with no problems :D So acrylic over enamel = GOOD

HTH,

Ian

Ian, thanks mate, that certainly does help! This has been confounding me for a while, but now I have the definitive answer. Incidentally, having no experience of using enamels, how long do they take to fully 'cure'? Hours, days, weeks?

Thanks again,

B.

It is very important with some makes of acrylic paint,that if you are applying over enamel,the enamel has to be totally cured.If the enamel is not fully cured then the acrylic top coat will 'pickle' which creates a crazed effect on the surface of the acrylic coat.Why this happens i'm not sure, but i think it may have something to do with fumes given off as the enamel cures.The main acrylic i use is Xtracylix,and this is one that is prone to this happening if you overpaint the enamel too soon.I wait at least a couple of days before i put acrylic over enamel. :D

This happened to me recently on a Hunter.

I take it Klear won't act as a barrier between them then? IIRC Klear is Acrylic too? :undecided:

Pretty sure that Klear WILL act as a barrier between most types of paint. I've heard of acrylic paint covered n Klear, then given an oil/white spirit wash.

Or am I wrong?

Klear does seem to act as a barrier between different coats.It drys quickly and i've never had a problem over painting it with enamel or acrylic. :D