* Supermarine Spitfire Ia in flight

SoftScience

Hello everyone,

For this group build I plan on using some less-then-stellar kits and try to build decent and exciting models out of them. For my first entry, I'll be building the classic, and much beloved, Airfix Spitfire in 1/72. This build will be entirely out of the box with the exception of a clear Airfix stand that I pulled out from an ancient boxing of the Fiery Battle, and a rearview mirror that I'll have to fashion from scraps.

I've been harping about how difficult manufacturers make it to build in-flight models, so it would be a sin to pass up this oppertunity provided by Airfix. The kit includes a figure, and parts to build the gear up with ease. But you all probably know this, as every self-respecting aircraft modeler should have built this kit (this is perhaps my 6th or 7th go around).

Here she is taped together and test-fitted on the stand. The "interior" has already been glued and painted, and the pilot can be seen patiently waiting in the background for his mount.

spitstartcopy.jpg

I decided to recapture some youthful moments and popped in the BoB DVD while I painted Johnny Pilot. This is just too much fun!

Since this photo was taken I glued together the fuselage and applied a little bit of putty on the top-forward seem. The rest fits like a glove. I fully expect to have this model finished in a few days.

Thanks all. Nostalgia indeed. Although last time I built one of these I didn't have an airbrush, but that's a trip down memory lane that I don't wish to take.

anyhow, here is the spit with some paint on it. I tried to convey some sense of shade and heterogeneity in color by first undercoating with black

stuff001.jpg

and then building up the subsequent colors

stuff004-1-1.jpg

the effect is so faint as to be invisible. ALMOST. There is just a hint of color change which can be perceived, but I can't catch it with the camera.

I think I'll add a very light wash as well. Not sure yet. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

Edited by SoftScience

Thank you everyone. This was painted with a Paasche VL airbrush, Polly Scale paints, and a lot of poster-putty and paper towel for masking.

Polly Scale paints are not as good as they used to be; but they still airbrush on very well using my build-up method, because they're so thin.

It is not as perfect as it looks in the photograph, but it'll do in a pinch. I hope to have the decals and final bits on before Sunday ends.

Hey John Laidlaw, where in Milwaukee are you? I'm on the east-side

A nice looking Spit. :goodjob: Those old clear plastic stands were very good for displaying in flight models.I wish they still did them.I used to make a lot of my models wheels up,when i was a kid.I made about 6 of this kit.Some displayed and some lost in action in my war campaign against the kid next door. :D

Thanks everyone.

Troffa, thats one of those words that always gets tossed around in the lab here all of the time, so I fall back on it when I forget the more common synonyms like "different" :lol:

Earlier this summer a co-worker of mine had to referto un-tall grass, because he forgot the word for short. It happens :)