This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Pictures in threads

12 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I'm not sure i agree with the idea that its mainly new members who dont know the full netiquette of the group; has to learn somewhere, right? Everyone was once a new member at one time. I have read some of the opening posts of this subject and i have outlined what I myself can do to help, if that isnt enough then maybe i havent quite found the right group yet, maybe i wont bother even looking any further for a group. I just ask if what i suggest is a good solution for me. I dont want to get involved in the politics of a group; i came on here because i am really getting back into modelling again after a lengthy absence (about 25 years) and am quite enjoying what i do, i thought it was enough? I dont crave acceptance, but when someone says they like what they see in a picture, i does help! lol

I think that you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. This has got nothing to do with you posting photos in WIP's or RFI's. It's about people quoting all of the photos when they reply. The number of photos posted is a personal gripe and not necessarily site policy. As I said, I don't see why we need to have so many photos of the same view, but that's a personal thing. The problem that's trying to be sorted in this thread is when somebody in an RFI or WIP posts or whatever, post his/her article along with several photos. That's not the problem. The problem comes when someone else wants to reply to that thread, and they want to quote something in the text, or they want to indicate something in one of the photos. The way to do it is to highlight the piece of text or the photo and then click on the drop down box "Quote selection". The way NOT to do it is to hit the "Quote" button at the bottom. This will only bring up all of the text and all of the photos, and if there are as many in there as some threads have, it can have an off putting effect.

And no, it's not just newbies who do it, but established members also who should know by now. Maybe if all members took the time to read some of the R&R's of the site, there would be a greater understanding, and less cockups. I've been a member for three years and STILL haven't read all of them.

HTH's

John.

13 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I gotta admit i do post pics in threads, tbh nobody said "No, dont do it". I send my images to Flikr and copy the url from there in 'medium' which is about 802px wide and 602px high. Its what i used in another forum and it works well in this one too. If anyone has a problem with my posts please tell me. I'd prefer to be in the mix and do something rather than be suddenly faced with a consensus of opinion against me. I have a few pictures in the 'workbench' page and i thought it would be interesting to others about how i did a model; in future i will just post that i am doing such and such a kit and then post a picture of it in 'ready for inspection'. Would that be better?

Mark, on the basis of what you say here, there should be no problem with you posting like this. Photos in a WIP are always welcome, as are RFI ones too. Your chosen photo size is about what I use & works well. The caveat to this, as John @Bullbasket has said above is when it goes utterly OTT as occasionally happens. I can understand someone being proud of a beautifully made model & wishing to show it to advantage, but when its every view at a few degress difference in both rotation & elevation it becomes a little tedious endlessly scrolling down the page wondering when you'll come to the LIKE button. Being an impatient git, I usually bail before I get there. The same with someone who posts a long string of images of ultra high resolution. Both in there own way are hell on people without Hi speed broadband (not many these days) or those using a cell phone for browsing. I browse a lot on my phone during my meal breaks at work ;) & waiting for a thread to load while listening to the crescendo of my monthly data limit power diving to zero is another thing guaranteed to make me bail. In both cases, the poster has defeated their initial aims, IMHO anyway.

Steve.

Okay Guys, thanks for your replies, much appreciated and clarifying. Unless there is a specific detail, i tend to put one overhead picture, one of the underside, and one from each side; as you say Steve, a whole string of graduating shots of one side of the model is quite off-putting and as i dont work now i dont use my lunch break looking at posts on my phone; if i'm out i will look at each one in email notifications but make a mental note to visit the group later when i get home, so that's another angle i hadn't thought of! Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Someone mentioned earlier that perhaps the 'quote' button needs to be removed and that's probably right, just replace it with a 'reply' button; because i only get the chance to reply to the last post in a thread as many others have already replied. A reply button would allow a reply to each post and people can still quote others by highlighting the text in the post they wish to reply to. The code could be altered too, to prevent pictures being posted over and over so that when someone does quote another, they are unable to repeat all the pictures. On the subject of code, it could be altered to include one aspect shots only, so that in the rules about pictures people can post a top shot, an underside shot, a left and a right (unless its a larger model in which case a front and rear of each side could be allowed). Just a thought. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Someone mentioned earlier that perhaps the 'quote' button needs to be removed and that's probably right, just replace it with a 'reply' button;

No, you don't want that to happen (IMO), as it is handy for replying to something specific, and also, it alerts the person who is being quoted to that fact.

John.

OK, what about a reply button for each post? The quotes are a bit boring to read over and over to get to the bottom of the page. A reply button would work well.

I use the quote button but I also go back and highlight and remove the un-needed pictures. If an old git like me can figure it out, it ain't hard to do.

Chris

8 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

OK, what about a reply button for each post? The quotes are a bit boring to read over and over to get to the bottom of the page. A reply button would work well.

A bit puzzled on this Mark, we don't normally get endless quoted posts though some threads have post with a list of quoted snippets in a single post acknowledging or replying to comments. Hard to get away from that but they're normally pretty brief. You're not confusing BM with that rather Hyper forum are you? If you want endless posts of quoted images, thats the place to be & the reason I'm not there much nowadays.

Steve.

Not at all; i have been in a few modelling forums and found many to be lacking in certain areas, i was merely suggesting ideas. I'm gonna let it go now.

Can we use the "report post" button on the offenders who insist on quoting VAST amounts of pictures?

I had to log out of the forum yesterday, as the quantity of people who seemed fixated on quoting pictures for no obvious reason, would have led to me being "gruff" or being "naughty"...:fight:

Edited by hairystick

The quote button will not be going away, people do need to THINK when using it and remove quoted pictures like has been suggested.

This applies to all members as it is not just new ones who do this!

Also yes if people are doing it then feel free to report it, some of you already do.

Thx

Julien

What about an automatic 1 week or 2 day (or whatever) ban on people who quote pictures.

Exempt if you quote one picture from a string for reference to your own post.

people do need to THINK 

Yeah right......... as though that will happen!

22 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

What about an automatic 1 week or 2 day (or whatever) ban on people who quote pictures.

Exempt if you quote one picture from a string for reference to your own post.

I think that is a bit like using a hammer to crack a walnut, but I agree that something needs doing. There are some people who put as many as 50 photos in their threads, so just imagine what that would be like if some numbnut clicked on quote, just so that they could say"nice". I think that we can all do something about this situation by flagging it up whenever they do it and point out the "error of their ways" to them. Or just simply click on "Report post" and let the mods sort them out. But whatever happens, there are always going to be those who, for whatever reason, are not going to comply.

John.

26 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

point out the "error of their ways" to them

I tried that a couple of weeks ago and was completely ignored. I've just checked and the quoted photos are still there.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

I tried that a couple of weeks ago and was completely ignored. I've just checked and the quoted photos are still there.

Probably best to just report it.

On the subject of reports; it is only the mass quoting of pictures we dont want/like, If someone quotes the odd single picture here and there thats ok, even better if to illustrate something. Its just the mass quoting of pics and then adding "Great builld" etc, This can be done without quoting everything.

Thx

Julien

All i do is edit what's in the text box, its easy to just remove the pictures this way, i do it before i hit 'Send'.

4 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I agree. You can quote but just remove the pictures, I do it.

50 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

All i do is edit what's in the text box, its easy to just remove the pictures this way, i do it before i hit 'Send'.

Same here. Easy peasy chicken squeezy!

Chris

9 hours ago, Julien said:

the mass quoting of pics and then adding "Great builld" etc, This can be done without quoting everything.

Spot on :thumbsup: