This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Pictures in threads

I think it would be a huge improvement if the 'quote' button at the bottom of each post were to be deleted.

Your can still quote by highlighting the required text and selecting the pop-up 'quote' option.

A tiny bit more work but much better results.

Mind you, the miss a then probably have to deal with a stream of "How do I quote" threads...😏

31 minutes ago, bhouse said:

highlighting the retired text

:clif:

32 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Mind you, the miss a then probably have to deal with a stream of "How do I quote" threads...😏

It would be a definite two-edged sword, and I have a feeling you're right.  The best thing we can do is raise awareness, and remember that not everyone finds using computers/forums as easy or as intuitive as us long-term users :) The best thing you can do is alert us with a Report, or just give the member a nudge in a PM and say nicely "You've quoted a load of photos there that you didn't need to, and it gets on some people's nerves".  Something on those lines with a view to not sounding aggressive or a :smartass:

@Mike 😜 Sorry about the incorrect words in my earlier post. The predictive text on my phone had its own ideas about what to say!

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

@Mike 😜 Sorry about the incorrect words in my earlier post. The predictive text on my phone had its own ideas about what to say!

Gave me a smirk, so don't worry about it ^_^

I'm no expert on t'interweb but I have spent some time with one recently setting up the spec for a community group site and forum. He brought up this picture image quote issue and asked if we'd like it to copy across or not. He showed me a test page where a couple of commands meant that photos were not 'quoted' across. If you wanted them you had to edit your post and add them back in. Could this forum do this?

Needless to say our quote button will be text only ;)  I don't need the frustration in my life.

12 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I'm no expert on t'interweb but I have spent some time with one recently setting up the spec for a community group site and forum. He brought up this picture image quote issue and asked if we'd like it to copy across or not. He showed me a test page where a couple of commands meant that photos were not 'quoted' across. If you wanted them you had to edit your post and add them back in. Could this forum do this?

Needless to say our quote button will be text only ;)  I don't need the frustration in my life.

Sounds like a good idea. It is very little hassle to right click on the one photo you want to quote, select copy image address & then paste into your reply when the site software will show the photo, easier that selecting & deleting a heap of photos out of a quote. There is a reason I seldom go to Hyperscale now they're on Tapatalk.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sounds like a good idea. It is very little hassle to right click on the one photo you want to quote, select copy image address & then paste into your reply when the site software will show the photo, easier that selecting & deleting a heap of photos out of a quote. There is a reason I seldom go to Hyperscale now they're on Tapatalk.

Steve.

I didn't say but that is exactly how our forum will work as well. We have a test group of silver surfers down to pre-teens who are going to try and break it. Jim the expert is confident they won't.

On 01/09/2008 at 11:49, Mike said:

Picture size...

Posting too big a picture in a thread is a pain, as it breaks the format of the thread window, forcing people to scroll horizontally... it makes the threads difficult to read, especially if you've only got a smallish screen resolution. Out of courtesy for other users, could people keep their pics to 1280 pixels wide by a maximum of 850 px please? If people want higher resolution pics, they could ask the OP for copies :) 1280 px will allow space for the borders and the poster's details column, without making it difficult to use on a 1080p screen. That might change as we start to see the UHD screens appear, but it's fair cater to the (by now) lowest common denominator. My screen res is 1080p across in the house, and 1280 px pic works nicely, without being too small on any larger screens.

Quoting and Pictures...

Quoting a post and repeating all of the pictures is annoying when scrolling through a thread, especially for those members using tablets or smart phones.  If you are going to quote a post, please remove the repeated photos, its the polite thing to do.

Just a reminder on these 2 as we are seeing quite a lot of large pictures upto 3500 pixels in one case, Also please avoid quoting large amounts of pictures in a thread.

Thx

Julien

Well I haven’t even worked out how to post pictures yet. I’m not a computer expert and this has put me off big time!. A work mate is on Britmodeller. Keeps saying he will show me how to do it. Will have to pester him again.

1 hour ago, Fat Squid said:

Well I haven’t even worked out how to post pictures yet. I’m not a computer expert and this has put me off big time!. A work mate is on Britmodeller. Keeps saying he will show me how to do it. Will have to pester him again.

Take a look in FAQ's. There are a few suggestions on how to post photos on here. I use Village photos and have put an"idiot's guide" to using this facility. Just remember to resize your photos on your computer before uploading them to a hosting sit such as VP.

John.

PS. Hi from a born and bred Sardender!

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Take a look in FAQ's. There are a few suggestions on how to post photos on here. I use Village photos and have put an"idiot's guide" to using this facility. Just remember to resize your photos on your computer before uploading them to a hosting sit such as VP.

John.

PS. Hi from a born and bred Sardender!

Thanks John. And do you mean ‘Sarfender?’

Here's a link to the FAQ on the subject to save anyone from having to look for it:

25 minutes ago, Fat Squid said:

Thanks John. And do you mean ‘Sarfender?’

The dreaded typo. Yes, good old Sarfend. Eastwood to be precise.

John.

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

I live in Eastwood!. Sandhill Road to be precise.It’s a small world!

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

1 minute ago, Fat Squid said:

I know, just off Eastwood Rise. My brother still lives in the house where I grew up in, opposite Blenheim Park, but my sister lives just behind the Bell Pub. A small world indeed.

John.

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just remember to resize your photos on your computer before uploading them to a hosting sit such as VP.

John.

If you go with Flickr, they have tho option to post images in various sizes.

500x253:

49225032621_009ac34a51.jpg

800v400:

49225032621_009ac34a51_c.jpg

1024x518:

49225032621_009ac34a51_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris. I don’t have a computer.Just an iPhone and iPad. I’ve been advised to use flikr. No doubt I will get it wrong a few times. Just need to practice 

41 minutes ago, Fat Squid said:

Thanks for the advice Chris. I don’t have a computer.Just an iPhone and iPad. I’ve been advised to use flikr. No doubt I will get it wrong a few times. Just need to practice 

Yes, I sometimes forget that a lot of members are using their celllphones and other small handheld devises for forum viewing and that the pictures look about the same size no matter what size is posted. I'm old, retired and still use my PC with it's 21" monitor.

Chris

We are seeing too many threads in Group Builds, WIP and the RFI section quoting all the pictures.

Please can we stop this.

Thanks

Julien

Couldn't agree more. I like to see the finished model in RFI. If I want to see more detail about the build then WIP

is the place to go. 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Couldn't agree more. I like to see the finished model in RFI. If I want to see more detail about the build then WIP

is the place to go. 

No thats not the meaning, when people reply to a topic they are quoting all the pictures, they should not do this.  If they want to put an odd WIP pic in an RFI thread to show how it got to the finished state then thats fine. 

Julien

I couldn't agree more, as it's annoying to have to wade through the couple of dozen photos again that you've already waded through. I know that I got a definite NO when I suggested this, but I still think that it would help if there were a restriction on the number of photos uploaded each time to say, 15 or 20. As I said previously, how many shots of an identical view do we need to see. There was one recently that contained 50 photos. You don't get that number on a walkaround.

John.

Posted (edited)

I gotta admit i do post pics in threads, tbh nobody said "No, dont do it". I send my images to Flikr and copy the url from there in 'medium' which is about 802px wide and 602px high. Its what i used in another forum and it works well in this one too. If anyone has a problem with my posts please tell me. I'd prefer to be in the mix and do something rather than be suddenly faced with a consensus of opinion against me. I have a few pictures in the 'workbench' page and i thought it would be interesting to others about how i did a model; in future i will just post that i am doing such and such a kit and then post a picture of it in 'ready for inspection'. Would that be better?

I'm not sure i agree with the idea that its mainly new members who dont know the full netiquette of the group; everyone has to learn somewhere, right? Everyone was once a new member at one time. I have read some of the opening posts of this subject and i have outlined what I myself can do to help, if that isnt enough then maybe i havent quite found the right group yet, maybe i wont bother even looking any further for a group. I just ask if what i suggest is a good solution for me. I dont want to get involved in the politics of a group; i came on here because i am really getting back into modelling again after a lengthy absence (about 25 years) and am quite enjoying what i do, i thought it was enough? I dont crave acceptance, but when someone says they like what they see in a picture, it does help! lol

Edited by Markh-75

On 05/03/2019 at 16:17, bhouse said:

Hey there! Pred text can be a pain, i know. The guy who invented it died recently; i saw it in the papers, his funfair will be next monkey!🤣🤣🤣😂