Handley Page HP-111C

Geoff_B

This is the latest kitbash to create the HP-111C transporter the design favoured by the RAF for the competion that was awarded to the Shorts Belfast (on political grounds to keep employment in Northern ireland rather than on technical merit).

The model is based upon a Heller E-3 Senry fuselage shorted by approx 5 cm fwd of the wing, the fuselage was then bulked out using 3.5mm thick mircostrip to remover the inverted 707 teardrop cross section and give the rounded wider girth of the 111, Wings, tail and Undercarriage were all adapted from matchbox Victor parts.

Its not a perfect build by any means with plenty of flaws identified during finishing but still quite an impressive beast and makes you wonder if we had actually got these built and into service ?

HP111005.jpg

HP111003-1.jpg

HP111004-1.jpg

HP111005-1.jpg

HP111003-2.jpg

HP111007.jpg

HP111008.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1009.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1012.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1008.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1004.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1001.jpg

HP111HarrogateCMK1003.jpg

Coments & Questions welcomed

Geoff

• Like 1

:mike:

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Very nice Geoff, I must admit when you explained the process for bulking out the E-3 fuselage diameter to me a few months ago I was a little skeptical to say the least, but that is simply suberb.

Its not a perfect build by any means with plenty of flaws identified

The gentleman doth protest too much! Having seen this "in the flesh" last night all I can say is you are far too self critical!

Very impressive stuff.

:cheers:

Duncan

Edited by Overkiller

:thumbsup::smartass: the serial no is suspect. 'ow 'bout XL250 thru XL255? :smartass::thumbsup:

trevor [as a card carrying HPA member is adding the proverbial :2c: worth]

Because the XL series represents aircraft ordered in the mid 50's, a HP96 or HP97 might have one especially if converted from Victor production.

Wooksta used XM on his profile, but i went with XR as thats from the year the Belfasts were actually ordered which would have been the same period for the HP-111 if the design had been selected over Belfast. Well that was the resoning behind it. Might be something to investigate when you get round to trying some of the later phase Victors, whilst some may be rebuilds

Questioning it does however show how much research and thought can go into some of the factually inspired What-if's to make them as plausible as we can.

Cheers

Geoff

Can't help but wonder how difficult a low wing Strategic Transport would be to load

iirc the HP111 was to have been double decked inside the airframe with a hydraulic ramp thingy for the lower deck that hit

the ground when the a/c was loading and unloading. there was also a freight lift inside as well as the usual military

passenger facilities. i am not sure how the flight deck would have been arranged, but it would probably have been

a cross between the HP80 and the VC-10. i think the flight crew would have been pilot, co-pilot, navigator, AEO/FE

and two loadmasters.

it someways some of the ideas that were paper projects ie this one and the AW681 use ideas that in the military transport

world now we take for granted, eg in the C-17 and if its ever gonna enter service the A400M.

trevor :2c:

Edited by Howard of Effingham

• 2 weeks later...