Supermarine 529 1/72nd

I've wanted to make one of these for years; and after £40 blimmin quid on ebay I finally got hold of one!!!

The Supermarine 529 was the second straight-wing Scimitar prototype (the first being the 508) and I dunno, there's just something about the lines of these brids that I love; they look like a Scimitar's had it's way with an Attacker. Or vice versa...

This is the Maintrack 'Project X' vacuform, which is a simple if basic kit; cockpit was scratchbuilt (not that any of it can be seen!!!), as were the wheel wells; intakes were faired in with lots of plastic card and milliput. The original vacuform had almost entirely raised panel lines, which were actually quite delicately done; but they had to go for two reasons - firstly, we all prefer recessed nowadays, and secondly; I've never rescribed a model before... and I need to practice before tackling a 1/32nd Sea Vixen :winkgrin:

It's entirely handpainted, using Humbrol polished aluminium and Brush-and-leaf silver.

Hope you like.

509_1.jpg

529_3.jpg

529_4.jpg

And one from the Scimitar family album:

529_2.jpg

Fantastic,i have always loved those two aircraft.Its something to do with the 'v' tail.My father was aboard HMS Eagle when one of them was doing carrier trials and some where i have photos of it on deck.

Lovely build of a very interesting subject :thumbsup:

Everyday's a schoolday; I had no idea the Scimitar spawned from a straight wing, butterfly tail prototype, but you can certainly see the lineage when the two are next to each other. Have to say though, aesthetically, the 529 aint the prettiest. At least the designers got it right with the end result :lol:

Edited by Seamus

Well worth forty sovs Guv.

All the Supermarine jet prototypes look extremely good.The Scim. and Swift prototypes were right there at the cutting edge in their day.

Look for the film "The Sound Barrier",the shots of the "Prometheus" at altitude are fantastic,really showing the lines of the aircraft at their best.

Mark

Thanks for all the comments! B) Glad you like it. Yes, £40 was a hell of a lot of cash for a 1/72nd simple vacuform of a relatively small aircraft; but my limited scratchbuilding skills don't really stretch to airframes and I REALLY wanted a 508/529. I'd already lost out on two of the same kit on ebay for OVER £40; both of which were purchased by the same bloke in Canada - obviously someone who wanted a 508 AND a 529 lol!

Last month I was outbid on the third Scimitar prototype, the 525 - which had swept wings and no butterfly tail. That went for £70!!!!!!!

Yup, The Sound Barrier was a great film - anyone know if it's available on DVD?

Here's a piccie of the 508; only real difference to the 529 is that it does not have the dorsal strakes.

Vickers%20508.jpg

And the 525, showing the last link in Scimitar evolution:

shapeimage_3.jpg

Edited by Lord Mureth

Very nice ! I got a few of the Maintrack 'Project X' kits myself although I've not built any yet. Wasn't this aircraft originally designed to land on 'rubber' decks without u/c, but eventually got the u/c as the 'rubber' deck idea lost it's favour ?

Edited by kitnut617

Excellent job, always liked the 508/529.

According to HMV The Sound Barrier was supposed to be out on 11/08/08 but they still have it listed as coming soon. It's being released by Optimum for £12.99.

HTH

Paul Harrison