Need Decals

timbo33

HI I'm a bit of a newbie at this but I'm sure it will be a simple answer for all you old hands.

I'm building a 1/48 Douglas Boston III for my uncle who flew them in 88 squadron during 1942.

I'm using the Italerei kit which has decals for 226 squadron, which shared an airfield with 88 Sqn and so I'm happy with the colour scheme, but I'm going to need different identification letters (RH plus individual aircraft letter) and serials.

The photographs I have of aircraft of this squadron at that time seem to have used either red or grey identification letters or a mixture thereof!!

Anyone point me in the direction of suitable decals? This isn't going to be a competition entry - just a surprise for my Uncle when we visit him later this year so corners can be cut...

Hi Pingu, and thanks for the welcome to the forums. I've seen some of the stuff some of you guys have produced so I feel a bit unworthy!!!

The squadron letters should be 22mm high and the nose mounted aircraft identification 17mm, but as I said, this is a present for my uncle and I don't suppose he's going to tell me it's wrong if the letters are slightly small so It's probably cool if you have letters 15mm upwards.

Also red letters are fine as the markings were changed from Sky to Red during May 1942 when it was thought they'd start night bombing. My Uncle would have flown aircraft with both as he was with the Squadron from 1941 until March 1943 when he transferred to USAAF (he's american)

The serials are in black and are 4mm high.

Be great if you could spare some, or just let me know where I can buy some - I live in Reading, Berkshire.

Cheers,

Tim

PS I think I've got this covered as a reply to a post on the Beaufort thread pointed me in the direction of Tally Ho! Decals which I've ordered from Hannnants - Should hopefu lly do the trick...:speak_cool: