'Thing' on Meteor F Mk 8 underside

Tigerausfb

I'm adding a few missing air outlets to the underside of my Airfix/Xtrakits Meteor and I wondered if any knowledgeable person could tell me what this is for? Is it on all F Mk 8's?

I have the SAM Datafile but little other Meteor refs. (original image is from Hyperscale?? I think)

MeteorF8underbelly.jpg

Thanks- Andy

Edited by Tigerausfb

Strange. It appears on a lot of F Mk 8 pictures - but not on any other mark that I can see, nor on the original prototype Mk8. It appears to have a spring loaded cover at the rear, so probably not an outlet (I first wondered about fuel dump for ventral tank - but why not other Marks?). Perhaps an access point for services - say ground electrics.

If a later era I'd have suggested it was maybe a telescrambler plug in point, but not for Meteor timescale.

Well spotted - I'd never noticed it before. Another thing missing from my models, bother.

Strange. It appears on a lot of F Mk 8 pictures - but not on any other mark that I can see, nor on the original prototype Mk8. It appears to have a spring loaded cover at the rear, so probably not an outlet (I first wondered about fuel dump for ventral tank - but why not other Marks?). Perhaps an access point for services - say ground electrics.

If a later era I'd have suggested it was maybe a telescrambler plug in point, but not for Meteor timescale.

Well spotted - I'd never noticed it before. Another thing missing from my models, bother.

I believe it's the attachment point for the towed banner on airframes that have been modded for target tug duties.

Regards.

Graham

I believe it's the attachment point for the towed banner on airframes that have been modded for target tug duties.

Regards.

Graham

Thanks Graham! I'd also seen this on an extant Israeli Meteor which, as I've just spotted, the SAM Datafile p.20 comments " Apart from their normal fighter role these (Israeli) aircraft could be easily converted to act as target tugs..."

Regards -Andy

Definitely don't think it's the target hook - all references say that was a modification to the rear of the underside tank.

Added to which, it appears on almost all production F8s, and also on FR9s, as this shot of two 2 Squadron aircraft shows (note the far away aircraft carries the light slate grey/medium sea grey over PRU blue shceme)

Mail.jpg

Wasn't that in the rear of the fuel tank?

Hi Dave,

The Meteor F(TT)8 at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum is supposedly a Target Tug conversion and it doesn't have a belly tank fitted. Had a look at our Meteor D.16 last night which, before it became a drone did carry out target tug duties. There are no attachment points on the rear of the belly tank (but this could have been replaced) and the fairing on the underside has been plated over. Think I will have to dig out the technical manuals to find out for definite! :shrug:

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

My first thought was Meteor TT.8 conversion (and was beaten to the drop by a cackin' interweb connection).

My later thoughts are the same, why interfere with the ventral tank drop mechanism?

Still think it's a Meteor TT addition regardless of the 2 Sqn photy (they'd still need to practice AA gunnery regardless)

Regards

Wez

Definitely don't think it's the target hook - all references say that was a modification to the rear of the underside tank.

Added to which, it appears on almost all production F8s, and also on FR9s, as this shot of two 2 Squadron aircraft shows (note the far away aircraft carries the light slate grey/medium sea grey over PRU blue shceme)

Mail.jpg

I agree with you Dave, it's most definately not a target towing attachment point. I'm sure it's fuel tank related but have no evidence to back it up.

I had a good look around 'Winston' when it was based at Kemble some years ago. The target towing shackle was in the rear of the belly tank, and I was told the fairing in question covers the shackle release electrics.

You beat me to it Damien. Found a photo last night that I had taken of the Meteor at the Norfolk and Norwich Museum and there is indeed a multipin electrical connector inside that fairing. So it was part of the target towing mod but not the attachment point itself! :)

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes