Another Xtrakit Meteor

AnonymousA667

I know, another one, but I need something to play with whilst I'm away on my hols. It is already started, but I will pack some gear to go tonight including this Meatbox:

331367159.jpg

The only addition will be the Aeroclub seat to replace the dodgy looking kit item. I will keep a diary whilst away and post up when I get back.

peebeep

• 2 weeks later...

Quite good progress whilst I was away, so here goes. First off the cockpit bits, supplemented with an Aeroclub bang seat to replace the odd looking kit parts:

332617169.jpg

332617176.jpg

The fuselage together:

332617180.jpg

I filled up the space under the cockpit floor to the nose gear bulkhead with a mixture of white glue and shot, hopefully it will be enough to avoid tail sitting:

332617182.jpg

The wing and tailplane components prepped and awaiting assembly. I spent some time thinning the wing and tailplane surfaces, especially the wing outer panels:

332617192.jpg

The wing parts are now assembled bar the intake rings and jet pipes, I will report further once this is done.

peebeep

• 5 weeks later...

Looks good Paul.

I know this kit has had some bad press, but I really enjoyed building it. Did you need a fuselage spacer bar to spread it for a neat wing joint? I know I did on mine.

What markings you going for?

I know this kit has had some bad press, but I really enjoyed building it.

Same old story IMO, couple of minor grockles and it is written off as rubbish. It's not shake and bake but it goes together well enough with a small amount of fettling. I like this kit a lot.

Did you need a fuselage spacer bar to spread it for a neat wing joint? I know I did on mine.

Next one I build will have a spacer! :lol: It wasn't until after I applied the cement and offered everything up that I realised that the fuselage was a tad narrow at the wing joint. By flooding the joint with liquid cement and applying pressure to the top of the fuselage I was able to spread it out enough to line up, but it meant holding on to the whole lot for about 20 minutes while the cement set before I could let go.

What markings you going for?

It's going to have to be one of the silver machines in order to hurry things along.

peebeep

What are the grockles, then? I have four of these, and I haven't had an opportunity to start one yet.

There are very few locating pins.

The pilot's seat looks odd and is best replaced.

The wing outer panels are too thick and require reduction.

The engine nacelle upper/lower components don't match up very well.

The nacelle front rings and jet pipes don't fit well.

As mentioned above the wing fit requires some fettling, also a small amount of filling underneath.

Not got there yet but the undercarriage components look fiddly, with an excess of components and butt fitting parts, including to the wheel bays.

Nothing that can't be overcome with a small amount of fettling IMO. Those whose regular diet consists of Tamiya best not bother.

peebeep

The wing outer panels are too thick and require reduction.

The engine nacelle upper/lower components don't match up very well.

The nacelle front rings and jet pipes don't fit well.

As mentioned above the wing fit requires some fettling, also a small amount of filling underneath.

Not got there yet but the undercarriage components look fiddly, with an excess of components and butt fitting parts, including to the wheel bays.

peebeep

Glad it wasn't just me then :)

The undercarriage looks like it will be worse than it is IMO. The 'knee joints' are quite a strong fit I found, though it was best to let them set hard before adding the other parts. I also pinned the main legs into the wing (through it actually, but that's another story).

I think it's one that rewards the work that needs to be done on it.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
It was the first silvery stuff to come out of the box of paints, so thought I'd try it. Seems to have worked OK:

that's why I already love this board... in other ones I visit, they would discuss over 5 pages, if Alclad, Modelmaster Metallizer, bare metal foil or kitchen foil would best represent the original metal skin...

nice work so far, got the same kit on my shelf, ready to build!

Alex

Sprayed with Games Workshop Mithril Silver. It was the first silvery stuff to come out of the box of paints, so thought I'd try it. Seems to have worked OK:

339424023.jpg

peebeep

Coming along nicely Paul!! Mithril Silver seems like a very good way of representing the High Speed Silver paint finish of the meat boxes......

Good job there Paul. It's a shame that wing thickness problems seem to be manifesting themselves a lot inAirfix kits these days.

Tony :clif:

Bearing in mind though that this kit was not actually tooled by Airfix, but as a collaboration between Hannants (Xtrakit) and MPM.

As for the wing problems - I've tried to correct mine (on my U16 conversion) by sanding down the inner wings - similar to that done on Vacform models. It seems to have worked reasonably well and it helps to make the Intake fronts fit the nacelles better....

As for the wing problems - I've tried to correct mine (on my U16 conversion) by sanding down the inner wings - similar to that done on Vacform models. It seems to have worked reasonably well and it helps to make the Intake fronts fit the nacelles better....

That's what I did to fix mine, it doesn't take very long to fix and shouldn't mar anyone's enjoyment of the build which is perfectly satisfactory in most respects - although I haven't got around to the undercarriage yet!

peebeep

although I haven't got around to the undercarriage yet!

peebeep

Can't see your pics at work, but I'm sure it looks great. With regards to the undercarriage, glue the 'knee' joints and let them dry overnight before assembling the rest - they're stronger than they look and quite a tight fit. Attaching them to the wells is made a lot easier with some pins though as it's all but a butt joint.

[edit: I just realised I repeated myself almost word for word. please feel free to ignore this post :chair: ]

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

That's what I did to fix mine, it doesn't take very long to fix and shouldn't mar anyone's enjoyment of the build which is perfectly satisfactory in most respects - although I haven't got around to the undercarriage yet!

peebeep

The undercarriage units are a nightmare Paul! Problem is - particularly with the nose wheel unit, is that the wheel is smaller than the "mudguard"!! I have a couple of Aeroclub white metal units that I may well use - though am down to my last two sets - so will have to use the kits parts on my T7's and F8's!!!

Well, I'm calling time on this one now:

340417158.jpg

340417160.jpg

340417155.jpg

The undercarriage was fiddly, but not impossible. For some reason after painting things started to go pear shaped, not big time, but little grockles designed to drive you up the wall - paint lifting off with masks, decals getting damaged etc.

peebeep