Victor B.Mk2

bentwaters81tfw

Scale Models did it some years ago using the Blue Steel from the Airfix Vulcan.

IIRC it was quite a simple straight forward conversion,basically just leave off the K.2 bits(HDU and wing refuelling pods),open up the bomb bay to take the Airfix Vulc's belly plate and fit the Blue Steel.

The only mod to the Blue Steel was to fold it's ventral fin,this is ,of course,assuming you want to do a Blue Steel carrying B.2.

Flight path used to do some resin bits for the intakes and the entry door I believe.

Mark

Does/did anyone make a conversion kit to back engineer the Victor from the K.Mk2? Or is there an 'easy' method?

TIA

Frank

If you are backdating to a B.Mk.2 you need to extend the wingtips and remove the HDU units - you can add the Blue Steel from the Airfix Vulcan kit, If backdating to a B.Mk.1 or a K.Mk1 then you will need the Flightpath conversion set.

You may find this edition of Scale Aviation Modeller International (SAMI) useful :whistle:

64c89aab.jpg

And here's a pic of each conversion....I can maybe post some more pic's of the conversion(s) if it would be helpful.....

100_3487.jpg

100_3480.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Hi Benters , I'm in process of finishing said Bmk 2 from K2 kit , Easy conversion ,( just get hold of the right stuff ;) Flightpath set including intakes ( I've actually used the earlier DB resins set which is basically the same only made of a harder resin !!), then as Bill says extend wing tips , set outer wings back a tad to give proper dog tooth and chance to adjust wing angle to level to the ground ( this is where Milliput filler comes in ) , as kits wings point down !!!, remove HDU stuff, add new white metal nose pitot ( kit one is way too big) , thin the refueling probe a lot, also use Airfix Vulcan tail cone it fits better and is the right shape for B2 ( as kits is for K2 , slightly different shape) I added ECM 'warts' for B2R version, don't forget to drill out Coolant intake on port engine 'stub' and add new RAT intakes ( kit ones are pants) , then either fill rear HDU hole or add Vulcan Blue Steel bay ( bit more work !!) ..There are loads more little things that I've done , if you want more info PM me,

Be prepared to do some serious filling :hypnotised:

Good luck !:

Cheers ,

Andy

P1040028Medium.jpg

P1040030Medium.jpg

P1040033Medium.jpg

P1040031Medium.jpg

P1040032Medium.jpg

P1040036Medium.jpg

P1040038Medium.jpg

P1040029Medium.jpg

Edited by general melchett

Be prepared to do some serious filling

You can say that again Andy! (Not literaly btw)

2 questions though please

a/To re-scribe or not to re-scribe?

I have seen various builds extolling the need to re-scribe due to the amount of filling/filing that destroys most of the detail?

Myself I would look to rescribe subtly.

b/ Flightpath set

Is it worth the investment?

NB:

Also dont forget that the side windows on the kit are in the WRONG position. SAMI and some other now defunct mags highlighted this years ago.

If anyone needs info on it then pm me and I can send scan info.

Adrian

There are two posts in the Hyperscale Gallery that might be helpful when building a Victor. First there's Bill Dye's B.Mk2 and then Jan Forsgren's awardwinning K.2. I have seen, and also judged, the latter and it is a masterpiece!

i have an old victor im gonna turn into a blue steel one..also have a spare blue steel plate from a vulcan.

my question is, how much of the vulcan plate should i use?..and has anyone got a scanned plan or something i can use for a cutting diagram?

thanks in advance

steve

ps...if anyone has a spare set of undercarriage parts for the matchbox/revell victor..i would be very grateful :speak_cool:

Hi Adrian , sorry bout delay in reply , on hols in B) Africa as I write this !!

1) I wouldn"t bother re scribing iof I were you , it"s hardly noticeable on ther real thing let alone a kit in 1/72nd !! I am getting rid of all mine , and 2), yes if you want an accurate Victor the FP set is essential as the kit intakes are completely the wrong shape ,

Yep just like the Airfix Vulcan the portholes are in the wrong place and not circular either !!,Hope this helps , now must get some more sun !!

Cheers,

Andy

Does/did anyone make a conversion kit to back engineer the Victor from the K.Mk2? Or is there an 'easy' method?

TIA

Frank

Another consideration on Matchbox's kit is the very poor representation of the wings trailing edges - which droop too much! the "Kuchemann Carrots" (for that is what I believe them to be called! - The large wing mounted fuel tanks at the rear!!!) should be more parallel to the ground - so the wing needs twisting upwards mid spar sort of area to achieve this.

You should try to get hold of Arthur Bentley's drawings as this shows the correct almost "W" shape to the wing - when viewed from the rear.

Another consideration on Matchbox's kit is the very poor representation of the wings trailing edges - which droop too much! the "Kuchemann Carrots" (for that is what I believe them to be called! - The large wing mounted fuel tanks at the rear!!!) should be more parallel to the ground - so the wing needs twisting upwards mid spar sort of area to achieve this.

You should try to get hold of Arthur Bentley's drawings as this shows the correct almost "W" shape to the wing - when viewed from the rear.

I noticed that when I built one.

I had some photos of the one that was at Cosford, though it was then a K.2 the thing I was interested in was the wings