Avro Lancaster B.III, Tamiya 1/48

Phantom2

Hi all!

As I´m new here and this is my first post, and this is a British modelling site, I´ll show my Tamiya 1/48 Avro Lancaster.

I know I´m not up till the standard of most builders here, but here we go;

JNEQIQENHMDMM0.jpg

JNEQIQEPCOGPI4.jpg

JNEQIQCPKRKOR8.jpg

JNEQIQHNHRNML4.jpg

JNEQIQHPDNMPK0.jpg

JNEQIQHQOPQME8.jpg

Hope you like her!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Edited by Phantom2

Hi all!

Thanks to all kind words!

You know, posting a British "Icon" as the Lancaster on a British modelling site was a bit intimidating at first, and I am very happy you liked what I could do with this quite old kit!

Ever since I built the Airfix Lancaster as a kid, I have had a love for this bomber.

I remember I could look at Roy Cross boxart for hours, imagining what "G" for George had gone trough that night over Germany as It was quite beaten up and returning home on only two enginges!

When I returned to modelling again I wanted to build one in the bigger 1/48 scale, and eventually Tamiya re-issued the Lanc again, this time as the Grand Slam, I bought It even If I wanted a B.I/III.

This kit have a reputation to be a "POS", but the only real fit issues was the engine covers where I had to fill and sand a lot.

Fuselage, tail and wings fitted pefectly, not as todays Tamiya but not far from it, no filler here!

Detailing is quite sparse, standard mid-70´s level.

Typically, six months after I completed the build Eduard issued a series of etched sets that would have been perfect.

But I´m buying them anyway as I probably will build another one!

Some facts about the build;

She started life as a Grand Slam B.I, but I was lucky enough to get the missing parts for the B.III version (bomb bay, bay doors and bombs) from a fellow modeller.

Seatbelts came from a generic RAF WWII etched set (prepainted).

Tamiya´s 4000lbs "cookie bomb" is very undersiezed, so I took one from one of the newer Airfix Mosquito kits.

Gun barrells came from Quickboost, small detail but adds a lot to the model.

Decals came from Techmod, and this machine belonged to the 300 (Polish)sqn, Faldingworth 1944-45.

It was a nice fun build without too much trouble (except the engine covers) and I can recommend this kit to anyone who has the parking space for it!

Cheers!

Stefan E