* Stuka...FINISHED

Deanflyer

Well, I've gone and done it now! In pursuit of my masterplan to win the GB sweepstake on completed builds, here's my latest entry. I think this is going to be a bit more of a handful than my last two kits, but I do like a challenge.

It's the venerable old Revell 1/32 Stuka:

boxshot.jpg

although for such a large kit, there seem to be surprisingly few parts, only about 70:

sprues.jpg

I did get the Eduard PE set for it though, which looks fiendishly complex, with about twice as many parts as the kit itself!

Looking at the kit parts, they've got the raised panel lines and thousands of rivets all over them expected of such a vintage. Looking at reference photos, rivets do seem quite prominent on these machines, so I might just tone them down a bit with gentle sanding and then live with them. I'll have to see how it goes.

One thing I won't be using is the pilot:

pilot.jpg

Looks like he was sculpted by the Work Experience kid. I think he belongs in a Zero, judging by the eyes.

Here we go again...

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

Hi,

Looking forward to this build.

The decals are in the mail.

How can you be so negative about those figures. They were molded in example of the "super race" :fuhrer:

Edited by Erwin

One thing I won't be using is the pilot:

pilot.jpg

Looks like he was sculpted by the Work Experience kid. I think he belongs in a Zero, judging by the eyes.

Either that or a spaceship from Roswell!

LMAO !!!!!!

That is a modelling gem, a true classic :D

Oh Boy that brings back memories!

I built one back in the early 1970s and it was my pride and joy. I had the desert version with the snake and my cousin had the Hungarian boxing.

John

:nerd::rofl:

Dean, do you do any work? :P

In the time it's taken me to almost finish a Spitfire cockpit, you've built two cracking kits, and are starting on a third.

Where do you get the time? :S

Nick

:nerd::rofl:

Dean, do you do any work? :P

In the time it's taken me to almost finish a Spitfire cockpit, you've built two cracking kits, and are starting on a third.

Where do you get the time? :S

Nick

I work for myself, Nick. I do about three days a week on average, which makes it a nice little part time job for a lazy feller like me, and in the summer the training business which I'm in takes a downturn as everyone is off on holiday! Living alone also means I haven't got any kids to look after, housework is optional, my free time is my own, and I have a room just for building models in. Only 6 days work in the whole of August leaves me plenty of time to build models! That Spitfire was 33 hours work, by the way.

Erwin, thanks again for the decals - I probably wouldn't have done this kit otherwise.

Keep watching folks - I might start the build anytime now...

Cheers,

Dean

Ahhhh, the K word!

I'm self employed as well, and the summer's are always a little quieter, so in theory I should be able to do more work on the models, but with kids, aye aye aye, time at the modelling desk is becoming a premium!

Looking forward to watching another of your builds.

Cheers,

Nick

Interesting kit Dean! Got that one too! No etch though!

That figure looks really awful, and I thought the one for the Typhoon was bad! :)

hawker_typhoon_pilot_1_640x480.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Aaaaand we're off!

I tend to log the amount of hours I spend building models, and so far I'm at the five hour mark. All there is to show for it is this:

progress1-2.jpg

About 67 photoetched parts have been removed from the fret, fettled, bent into shape, assembled where necessary, and the surplus detail has been removed from the kit sidewalls. If you want to drive yourself mad, try extensive photoetch work! Probably the most delicate thing I've ever assembled is the air gunner's basket seat:

progress2-2.jpg

although the five ammo drums were a close second in the frustration stakes. I'm at the point now though, where I can start putting the bits into position and getting some paint on them. I'll check in again when I've got to that.

See you soon,

Dean

Looks like we are going to see a great STUKA in the end.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but don't make promises I may not be able to keep! Let's just see how it goes...

Talking of which, the PE stuff in the cockpit is almost finished, so I've primed the sidewalls:

progress3-2.jpg

...and given them a coat of RLM02:

progress4-2.jpg

...but now I'm a bit stuck. I've got enough info to paint the instrument panel, but I know that a lot of the boxes and things in the cockpit are dark grey or black, but I don't know which ones. The painting instructions in the Revell kit are pretty useless, and I've tried to find Stuka cockpit photos on the internet to no avail.

If anybody has any sources, pictures, or failing that even a painting guide from one of the more recent kits they could scan, I'd be grateful. Otherwise I'll have to start making educated guesses...

Also the floor has a wood grain moulded into it - were the B2's floors wooden, or should I sand them smooth?

Onto the instrument panel next.

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

You're doing a good job there Dean.

On the subject of cockpit photos, why not drop Steven Eisenman (Modeldad) a line as he has the distinct knack of finding those hard-to-find photos and I'm sure that he won't mind helping out if he can.

Cheers

Dave.

Very nice work Dean! The PE looks great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it painted!

Good luck in your hunt for pics!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Thanks for that John. It's a bit different to the cockpit I have in front of me, but it gives an idea of what colours to use. Pretty much as I was intending to do, in fact. I love the way that they show both rubber pedals (note spelling!) separately, and yet indicate they should be the same colour! Just in case you thought they'd be different, I suppose...

Can't see any indication of there being a wooden floor either, so I'd better sand that smooth.

Cheers for the help, food for thought.

Dean

I believe the Airfix Stuka was based on the "B" in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, so I'd be inclined to go with the layout in that.

It's been a long time since I last saw a Revell kit, but if I remember correctly it has the rear firing MG15 mounted on a stand. I think they've confused photos of the stand for the ammo rack, the gun should be free mounted in the rear glazing.

John