Shorts Empire Class Flying Boat

desmojen

Many thanks all for the good words of encouragement, and thanks to them, I am done! Apart from Grant that is, he's just being silly :rolleyes::lol:

Drum roll please for a shining beacon of 1930's loveliness :D

342977086.jpg

342977094.jpg

342977102.jpg

Yet again Dswoofie has produced a base to my specifications, and yet again my husband stayed late at work to paint it for me. Above and beyond from both of them imo. I picked out the logo Speedbirds in gold. I was going to do them silver but noticed that the brass tube looked pretty much like gold so they would match and look cool.

I did do a little white lie in the title, she isn't 100% finished. I should add a complicated aerial array, and also actuators and cranks to the ailerons. Bearing in mind the fact that my main priority was to get the model to Telford in one piece I have decided to leave these until after the show. I might not fit them even then because I like how it looks without them.

I ended up using a bottle and a half of Aclad Aluminium and about the same again of Klear. There's also half a gallon of Kristal Klear making up the windows, the larger of which are pushing the boundaries a bit. Trouble is, they are all different sizes and shapes (remember this kit is hand made) so I was not confident that the supplied resin windows would work out too well.

The decals are beautiful and flawless in operation, mostly being virtually invisible now even over the silver finish. The thing that makes it for me though is having her flying. Thanks for the prod in the right direction Grant, the base and flying pose really make it for me.

Overall then I've enjoyed this kit. It was very expensive but I do think it was worth the money, the single disappointment was the canopy which was pretty nasty. Other than that it's spot on. It was a bit of a baptism of fire for a first effort at a resin kit, and I feel it is a testament to CMR that it has come out so well.

I have wanted a model of the Empire class flying boat for so long I can't even remember, and now I have one :D

Jen.

:sorry: Im late Jen, just caught up with this one :doh:

I saw a program on tv about these the other night, and, I have to say, I was impressed then, and Im overly impressed now with this beautiful model :goodjob:

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Bex

She's absolute beauty Jen, look forward to seeing her in the flesh this weekend :thumbsup:

These old flying boats are such wonderfully elegant machines :wub:

Stunning :)

I have to say, that having had the pleasure of sitting behind this model for an hour on Saturday, that in no way, shape or form do the pics do this model justice. The paint finish is the smoothest, glossiest, shiniest, most flawless metallic finish I have ever seen.

It also was the subject of umpteen favourable comments from the punters - every person who stopped to look at the stand made a point of saying how good this model was.