New Falkland Islands Air Defense

AnonymousDFB1

Wow.... :mellow: Those intakes are a worse shape than on the Airfix kit. Makes me so glad I didn't get one myself. What's with the upwards slope of the intakes? They almost look upside down? :unsure::hmmm:

You're going to need shares in a filler company at this rate. Remind me never to slag off the Airfix Hawk again :tapedshut:

Those intakes are a terrible shape Mike! I'm not worried as this is a What If so it could well have been 'modded'.

Between this and the 110 I have used nearly a quarter of a tube of filler!

I've never seen the Airfix Hawk, but heard it's bad. Anyone know anything about the Italiera 1:48 Hawk?

The overall shape of the Airfix Hawk is okish, but some people reckon it's a bit pinched in the middle fuselage. The main problem with the kit is the soft and non-existent detail. It's a kit in serious need of some aftermarket, which CMK & Neomega supply for a price. The pic below is one I built up last year:

f_side.jpg

I'll be interested to see the Italeri kit when it arrives... :)

The overall shape of the Airfix Hawk is okish, but some people reckon it's a bit pinched in the middle fuselage. The main problem with the kit is the soft and non-existent detail. It's a kit in serious need of some aftermarket, which CMK & Neomega supply for a price...

I'll be interested to see the Italeri kit when it arrives... :)

The Airfix kit looks a lot better Mike, I won't be going AM with this one.

I've seen the Italeri kit for sale somewhere, no where was it?

Richard I think I e-mailed it to you already?

Ah yes!

I'd let everybody read it. Honestly I don't see how it could possibly be taken in an offensive way. Go for it!

Richard.

Right folks due to popular demand here is part two of my back story. Same as I said for part one. This is a work of fiction and is just a story to build some What If models around. I'm not out to stir up anything and likewise if anyone starts taking this thread down that road then I will ask the mods to delete the offending thread. I would like to add that if anyone takes offence with my posting, let me know and I will remove it.

Anyway on with the story:

The Shooting Starts

19th February 2009

The BHP Billiton exploration platform Oasis 11 180 miles west of West of West Falkland.

For three days now the Argentinean Navy ship ARA La Argentina the second ship of the MEKO 360H2 series of four destroyers built for the Argentine Navy. Designated as a Almirante Brown class destroyer by the Argentineans had be sailing dangerously close to the platform. Each time she had be warned by the platforms radio operators and by FIDF AEW/MR Brit Norman Defender not to approach the platform and to stay out of Falkland territorial waters each time the warning went unheeded and unanswered. Today the the situation changed as she sail around the platform La Argentina trained her Otobreda 127/54 Compact 5 inch dual purpose gun

And her 8 Breda/Bofors 40 mm L/70 anti-aircraft guns on the platform, before sailing away. The fact was reported back to Falkland Islands Government. The FIDF reacted immediately by maintaining continuous patrol in the area with its 3 AEW/MR equipped Defenders and put its Sea Eagle equipped BAE Hawks on QRA alert.

At 15:03 the Defender callsign Spiker 15 contacted FIDF HQ at Mount Stanley airfield that it had a surface contact and had electronically identified it as the La Atgentina.

Spiker 15 broadcast a warning to all shipping to stay out of Falkland Island territorial waters. La Argentina continued on her course heading straight for Oasis 11.

Back at Mount Pleasant the QRA Hawk was scrambled.

Squadron Leader Matt Cooper took off in his BAE Hawk callsign Thatcher 1 with his ‘back seater’ Weapons Systems Operator Flight Lieutenant Gary Floyd and climbed to 15,000 foot where Gary contacted Spiker 15 and received data via the secure battle field data systems that vectored them towards the surface contact.

On their left left wing they carry a BAE Sea Eagle antishipping missile, on the right wing they carried a long range fuel tank. They are running of this now as if they had to fire the missile they would have to jettison it as the asymmetric load on the aircraft would be too great. As they crossed the coast of West Falkland Spiker 15 gave them a verbal sitrep and a new vector via the data link. The contact was maintaining it’s course and speed and in 10 minutes it would be inside territorial waters.

At 15:57 Spiker 15 ordered Thatcher 1 via the data link to descend to 1000 foot. Matt descended through the cloud and Matt and Gary saw the grey waters of the South Atlantic.

At 16:09 Spiker 15 called and told them the surface contact was now inside territorial waters, had not responded to warnings and was now considered hostile. They were cleared to go weapons live.

Gary run through his missile systems check, armed the missile and reported to Spiker 15 he was ready to fire. Spiker 15 acknowledged and they received an updated vector. 30 seconds later Spiker 15 called and told him to fire the missile. Gary ‘pickled off’ the missile and watched as it dropped away from his wing, ignited and speeding away and dropping to 60 foot above the ocean. He signalled Spiker 15 to reported weapon away. Spiker 15 acknowledged and the data link gave him a vector for home Matt turned the aircraft.

The shooting war had begun.

I plan in a later build to make Spiker 15 from an Airfix 1:72 Islander/Defender kit.

Where this story goes next I have no idea. Hope you like it.

Anyway a little more done today. Tailplanes added, as were the wing fences and the airbrake. Unfortunately the airbrake needs a bit of filler... :wall:

yuq8si.jpg

yuq8sh.jpg

Edited by Mish

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:hmmm: Im must admit Sis, this wasnt a very nice birthday present was it :rofl: But, between this and that Fairyfix Tonka its a good job the Boss is sending you some more filler :yahoo:

Bex

But, between this and that Fairyfix Tonka its a good job the Boss is sending you some more filler :yahoo:

Just as soon as I can find something non-squashable to send it in :hmmm: