New Falkland Islands Air Defense

AnonymousDFB1

Good progress on the Hawk today.

Canopy masked with Parafilm donated by Peter Marshal. I must say this is easier to use than masking with tape.

I thought I'd have a go a preshading (again). Alas nothing showed through the paint work.

yv0ouq.jpg

The camouflage patten just developed as I sprayed

yv0out.jpg

Right next job is to printout the decals and put a coat of Klear on both.

As a big fan of alternative history I'm waiting patiently for the next installment, and it's nice to see someone else doing all the sanding, keep up the good work !

Cheers

Den

Thanks both,

Den I have written the next instalment of the story but I'm not posting any more of it here as a member of BM has asked me not to as he found it upsetting, so I have complied with his wishes. The full story will appear on the What If forums or if you want I can PM you the next instalment.

Well the hawk is done. I shan't be putting an photos in Ready For Inspection as it's not that good. The kit is rally very good, the canopy doesn't fit too well and the decals are not that brilliant.

However I have used this build as a proof of concept and have learned from it.

yvz3me.jpg

yvz3m4.jpg

I will build another Hawk in the same colours in due course, in fact I have two more Hawks to build for this project.

However the next build will be:

yvz3md.jpg

Which I want to turn into:

yvz3ox.jpg

yvz3oj.jpg

yvz3ok.jpg

I'll be starting this in the new year.

I think you did ok Mish under the circumstances (i.e. crap kit)... :clap2:

Love that Islander though - looks like it's been stung on the nose! :lol:

Oh, and I got a box yesterday that will fit your promised squadron green putty, so it's all systems go. It might also fit the squadron white I never use, so I'll squeeze it in if I remember :)

I think you did ok Mish under the circumstances (i.e. crap kit)... :clap2:

Love that Islander though - looks like it's been stung on the nose! :lol:

Oh, and I got a box yesterday that will fit your promised squadron green putty, so it's all systems go. It might also fit the squadron white I never use, so I'll squeeze it in if I remember :)

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking of using milliput for the AEW nose.

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking of using milliput for the AEW nose.

I'd put either a solid roundish core from somewhere in there, or carve one out of a chunk of balsa wood. Could you find something spherical to graft on maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Mish,

I really like your work, especially the paint. Great work!

Also, as an alternative to the Squadron green, can you get automotive filler putty at an auto parts store? I use Bondo glazing and spot putty. It's cheaper and you get twice as much.

Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, you already know I like it :D

For the roundel, how about an Oz roundel, but with a sheep in place of the 'roo?

The Welsh are already using that. :innocent:

Dave.

Edit due to double post.

Edited by Dave Gibson

Thanks for the installment Mish. That Islander looks very light on its nose wheel, almost fully extended? I can see that the leg has been lowered perhaps to give a bit more clearance. I wonder if their radome was empty!

• 4 weeks later...