High Speed Silver (HSS)

LDSModeller

Hi All

High Speed Silver (HSS) was used on various RAF/Commonwealth a/c 1950's (1960's- ish)

It was a 50/50 ratio of Aluminum and Clear cellulose Dope paints.

Question: does anyone have a suitable paint type they might recommend other than

painting good old Humbrol Matt Aluminum (Hu 56) and Clear gloss ? :hobbyhorse:

Thanks in advance

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Hi Alan,

Xtracolor X38 RAF High speed silver, i use xtracrylix XA1216 RLM 01 Silber and that doesnt look to bad in 1/72 couldnt say how it would look in bigger scales both paints available from Hannants and other on line dealers.

Dek.

Either a straight coat of ALCLAD 2 Aluminum or Model Master Metaliser Aluminum with a satin coat over the top does a great job. But the ALCLAD is definitely the preferred option though.

Cheers

Either a straight coat of ALCLAD 2 Aluminum or Model Master Metaliser Aluminum with a satin coat over the top does a great job. But the ALCLAD is definitely the preferred option though.

Cheers

Agree absolutely.Alclad is vastly superior.

It HAS to be applied by airbrush though,which if you don't have one can be a bit of a drawback......................

Mark

Hi All

High Speed Silver (HSS) was used on various RAF/Commonwealth a/c 1950's (1960's- ish)

It was a 50/50 ratio of Aluminum and Clear cellulose Dope paints.

Question: does anyone have a suitable paint type they might recommend other than

Thanks in advance

Alan

Alan,

I'd say that "good old Humbrol Matt Aluminium (HU56) and clear gloss is too dark, I've found mixing good old Humbrol Silver Fox (HU11) and a light grey in roughly about a 50/50 ratio to be a better approximation. It was certainly a mix reccommended in the early days of Modeldecal and it looked pretty good to me - having said that anything I built using that paint mix has long since gone to the great spares box in the sky (well the loft actually). :(

HTH

Regards

Wez

Edited by Wez

Halford's Aluminium is a good representation - and can be toned down if necessary with matt or satin varnish.

One thing to bear in mind is HSS faded to a metalic or even slightly metalic grey

Not a great photo..but my CA Meteor F8 in 1/48th scale was painted in Halford's.....

f83.jpg

Cheers

I'd have to go with this one too. I did my Meteor T7 in Alclad Aluminium over a grey Halford's primer base, and it turned out just the same as HSS:

meteor9.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

My usual recipe is Badger Modelflex "BNSF silver" - you can buy this in the UK from shops that cater to modellers of American Railroads. Unlike a lot of other 'silver' paint is seems to dry looking like a painted surface rather than something that's supposed to be metal. Pollyscale

If that's hard to find or if you like enamels adding about 20% gloss white to Humbrol silver or Floquil "Platinum Mist " seems to produce the right painted look.

Hi Gents

Thank you all for taking time to answer my query. :thumbsup:

Here in the Antipodies we unfortunatly (New Zealand any way) are not as blessed as you

in Europe/UK/North America to have places like Hannants or Halfords etc.

We also have a problem with our postal system not carrying paints etc with solvents etc etc...

We do have access to metalizer paints (sometimes). The major paints being Humbrol/Gunze/

Tamiya/ Vellejo and some times Mr Hobby (for scale models, aircraft etc)

So I guess I will have hunt and see what our 5-6 stores in Auckland have and go from there.

I'm going to build a RNZAF TAF (Territorial Air Force) P 51D Mustang. Hopefully I'll be able to

post photos in Sept (still have my WIP Buffalo to finish and BoB Group build Spitfire Mk Ib)

Regards

Alan

Well, in that case, following up on my recommendation for Citadel's excellent Mithril Silver, you can use THIS:

http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefinder/

to find GW retailers in Auckland.

You've got Games Workshops at St Lukes and at Sylivia Park, and High Performance Models, Games R Us and Steve's Model Shop also stock GW stuff...

Loads of choice!

bestest,

M.

Hi Gents

Thank you all for taking time to answer my query. :thumbsup:

Here in the Antipodies we unfortunatly (New Zealand any way) are not as blessed as you

in Europe/UK/North America to have places like Hannants or Halfords etc.

Alan,

Didn't realise you were in Jafastan... I left about 12 years ago

There used to be shop called Santa Fe Models or something like that on Dominion Road, just south of Balmoral Road; I'm not sure if they are in business still but they used to carry a lot of US railroad stuff including paints. Might be worth a try if your out that way

Aidrian

Hi Aidrian

Didn't realise you were in Jafastan... I left about 12 years ago
:clap2: Jafastan I like that!!! It's still pretty much the same in most respects

Yes I know Santa Fe Models, unfortunately it closed down around 4-5 years ago sad loss!!

We only have now about 5-6 actual model stores that sell models of all description (3 in central city, 1 in Penrose,

1 in Papakura (Steves models as mentioned above) plus a few others that deal in trains/wargaming (if thay still exsist)

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller