XB-70 reissue

GreenDragon

I was looking at pics from the Virginia Beach IPMS show over at Hyperscale and one showed the MRC table had a partly obscured Italeri 1/72nd XB-70 Valkyrie (ex AMT). The artwork looked pretty good and is a left-rear quarter view from above of the plane touching down on the runway. Box looks quite a bit smaller than my AMT box.

Paul Harrison

Doubt it, all the LE was was a plastic "plaque" with the name on it and a rather ordinary picture of the XB-70, I had and built both boxings of the kit, the plastic was the same, there were only two items added to the box contents, oh and the box was printed different.

Nothing to write home about.

I thought it might have been, but decided to go with it instead ;-)

I know what you mean though, Italeri seem to be on a quest in recent years to relive those big AMT birds.

Im not complaining, the B-52G [late] and B-52H were welcome if rather expensive additions...

I just dont know what other masters/moulds they have so Im not sure what they will and cant re-release.

Good luck to anyone who gets one of these, because you'll need it.

It's a real sweetheart to build - not sure how much filler I went through, not to mention the two full large cans of Halford's Appliance White whilst spraying it. And then there's the problem of storing it. It is massive, dwarfing a Vulcan.

I had the same problems.

I was nothing but disapointed with both of the ones I built.

I failed so bad on the first I decided to have another go but it went equally as badly.

I seem to remember

The wing hinges not following the curve of the leading edge of the wing

The very large gap between the wing parts and the hinges

The gaps between the bottom of the wing and the engine nacelle/fusalage center section

general fit problems all over [things like the vertical stabs]

The large seams on the forward fusalage, especially where it joins the wing

Lack of detail in the main and nose gear bays

Seams on the intake trunking...

OMG the list of problems is endless it really is, but I can still see how amazing it looked even though mine looked like I threw them together despite all the effort I put into it.

We need a walk round for it

I'm making it into an RAF Concorde B.1 ES, I figured as a bomber, it would have a radar at least as big as the Vulcan/Victor radar or bigger, which means it and the equipment that goes with it would be a lot heavier than the civil radar carried by Concorde so I shortened the forward fuselage to accomodate this extra weight, cg wise, and I've changed the nose too, to something about the size of a Vulcan nose but more streamlined.

Here's my build which I'm running on the Exfix Forum. http://thekitforum.16.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=26

Here's a direct link with some photos: http://groups.msn.com/TheWhatifandoddballm...concordeb1.msnw

My thinking is if a bomber had been made out of the Concorde, it would have only had a cabin for the crew up front with the rest of the fuselage as bomb bays and fuel tanks. I'm thinking bomb bays like on a B-1B, two before the main u/c and one behind