Rallychef's first ever group build

Rallychef

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everbody, finally got back to the workbench, a combination of working, wallpapering & poorly wife has kept me away for some time. Finally got some progress

The interior tub is finished, hope to get a start on the bodyshell very soon.

Tubrear.jpg

tub.jpg

thier may be a delay in the build as the kit came with the clear sprue missing, revell say thay have dispatched another but I am still waiting, anyway I have this in my stash, will it qualify as build number 2 ?

IMG_0865.jpg

may have to make a start while waiting for the other parts

back to the bodyshell

Cheers for now

regards Ian

P.S. I start my digi photography course next month so hopefully pictures will get better!!!!!

been having a look at the model T, been in the stash for ages, never been touched. Not sure if it will qualify, the kit is left hand drive so will have to be converted and US plates produced, but I don't think that will pose much of a problem, What do you think mods?

Ian

well I managed to get a couple of mist coats of white primer onto the Viper bodyshell, so as that is being set aside to dry I decided to have a look at the "T". It is an airfix ford model T 1912, in a 1:32 scale, not sure when it was manufactured, I aquired it from e bay some time ago when nobody else seemed to be bothering to bid.

You forget how much poorer the mouldings were with these older kits, i have spent some 2 hours trimming off exess flash.

This is how we currently look.

IMG_0866.jpg

now to start filling the seemingly hundreds of sink marks in the kit, we may even get a bit of primer on before the days out.

I know that Henry Ford said you could have them in any colour you wanted, as long as it was black, but I am going with the colour scheme on the box artwork as I have seen many examples like it when I googled it for some research pictures.

cheers folks

regards Ian.

well I made the mistake of going back to the model T this morning, and despite my complaining about the poor castings & excess flash, once I got it cleaned up a bit its become an addictive little kit,

and I got a bit carried away, the wife's had me reported as a missing person!!!!!..... as the mechanics and the colour scheme is fairly basic, I have been able to crack on very well with the kit. Most of the paintings been done.

IMG_0868.jpg

So hopefully in the morning we will get a start to get it assembled, if i'm allowed back into the workshop.

regards Ian

As I have said before, the model T is becoming a bit addictive, much of the assembly has been done today

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

Just need windowscreen, roof canope and lamps to go on now

The kit came with a driver figure, but as we know, ebay purchases can have some problems, our driver has a bit of a disability !!!!!!.........

IMG_0867.jpg

I've never done any figure modelling before so I thought he might be a good project to start on. I have decided to try and pose him standing next to the car.I

Firstly I cut away from the waist, remodelled the arms and gave him a long trenchcoat. He has had a light coat of primer and has been set aside to dry. Tomorrow I will model his hands and legs with more milliput.

IMG_0877.jpg

Thats me for tonight, I'm off to do some research on figure painting from our millitary modelling friends

Thanks for now

Cheers Ian

managed to get back into the workshop today, a bit of work on the viper, a couple of coats of midnight blue onto the bodyshell. needs sanded back a bit and another couple of coats.

IMG_0927.jpg

looking for some advice when I come to do the racing stripes. Would it be easier to mask & spray the stripes, or to use White decal sheets cut to size and aded over the painted bodywork?

sugestions and advice apreciated.

not much work done to the model T, but I have made a display stand for it. an old picture frame, painted white, with a ceiling tile cut to size, painted and inserted. A backdrop was produced by finding a 1912 ford logo, printing onto photocard, then mounted on plasticard ~ a really pleasing result.

IMG_0923.jpg

How it may look when finished

IMG_0924.jpg

The 'T' just needs its lamps & roof , and the figure painted, so its getting close to finished.

Regards

Ian

had a look at the viper bodyshell today, very disappointed with the finish, looking very rough.

IMG_0925.jpg

will try a dose of fine wet and dry after the weekend and see if I can recover it. Too much work gone into it to give up now.

Away all day tomorrow working on a Rally Test Day so it will have to wait untill sunday

regards Ian

yep,use a drinking straw on the nozzel of the can & spray into your airbrush jar, allow to sit for a while to degass, and use as you would any other paint. it's usually the correct consistancy to spray, and you get the precision of your air brush, can be a bit of a begger to clean afterwards, need to clean off quickly. Only as you can see, doesn't allways work for the better!!

regards ian