Model Box Art

CPNGROATS

Some nice stuff here.

anyone remember those Airfix box arts featuring photos of built up kits (and not good ones in some cases!) they were bad!

Julien

Some nice stuff here.

anyone remember those Airfix box arts featuring photos of built up kits (and not good ones in some cases!) they were bad!

Julien

I try to forget those days of Airfix, some pretty dire builds "graced" those boxtops.

Not unlike the days late 70s/early 80s where Revell had finished models on their boxtops. Blows my mind how they moved some of those kits off the shelves given how bad some of the builds on the boxtops were.

"Not unlike the days late 70s/early 80s where Revell had finished models on their boxtops. Blows my mind how they moved some of those kits off the shelves given how bad some of the builds on the boxtops were. "

Monogram also went thru a period of only showing a completed model on the b/a. The "standard" of the build was very basic, no filled seams, silvering on the decals, ect. I think the reason was so called truth in advertising, showing what an average builder might accomplish... I think there may be some merit to the approach, although, I prefer some historical context on b/a.

I'll have to look at the b/a I have in my Photobuck file and post some pics to illustrate various b/a approaches...

Cheers,

ggc

Speedy: I like those also, nice action images of the a/c per artist painting...Here are some examples of Mongram b/a showing a built kit...

PC070009.jpg

PC070008.jpg

PC070007.jpg

P6040001PMustangboxart.jpg

P3270011MonoA1E68071721973.jpg

P3270009MonoFordTriMotor75921721975.jpg

Now for some vintage b/a pics that inspired me [still] even if the kit inside was often quite a bit different than what was portrayed on the b/a....

Ancient Aurora 1/48 Me-109, the model was a paraphrased 109E in cool red metallic plastic, while the a/c getting shot down looks more like a 109F...

PA070008ME109FAuroraClassicBoxArt2.jpg

And a favorite of mine a ME-110 nightfighter perhaps over London...this was a great FROG b/a of times past...

PA070005ME110GFrog172.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

the 60s/70s Airfix Hunter (Black Arrows) and Canadian Starfighter were exciting ones, and reminiscent of each other...both seemed to be exciting night stand- on- tail and soar into Stratosphere shots.

The USS Forestal F4B was an ok Airfix one.

The Airfix Lysander I liked, showing the Lizzie in early-war or pre-war Army co-op role, idling up on ground to roar off with pilot in last minute shouting over engine conference with soldier/officer.

Airfix 262 was an ok shot, as was FW190D, 262 roaring past a damaged Typhoon, it captured the essence of the 262s period of the war well.

the Hurricane II was probably unimaginative..

Grumman Gosling( a kit you didnt see often on the shelf ) wasnt bad but was very Biggles, with the unarmed Grumman in trouble being hammered by an Arado floatplane

Likewise the Arado I liked, with Stringbags diving past the floatplane towards an attack on its mothership, with rear gunners on both sides hammering at each other.

The JU88 one probably captured the Battle of the Atlantic/Med mood well,with the green Junkers straddling an RN ship with bombs, and fit the Junkers kit in with war movies around at the time like "the Key" and "in which We serve"..

Ancient Aurora 1/48 Me-109, the model was a paraphrased 109E in cool red metallic plastic, while the a/c getting shot down looks more like a 109F...

PA070008ME109FAuroraClassicBoxArt2.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Same old kit but better box art than the original. The plastic in this issue was(IIRC) a trance-lucent maroon colour ( metallic is a good description)with the decal placement shown with raised panel type lines . No swaz. on the tail but large black crosses ..............mind you it was the 1950s and I was so pleased to have it bought for me . It went well with my bright yellow "Zero"

au-55.jpg

japanesezero1_copy.jpg

Edited by ancient mariner

AM: Those were the days, eh? I built many of those yellow Zero's as a lad...

Cheers,

ggc