'69 427 Corvette Coupe

The Hooded Claw

You should have seen the Corvette convention in Frisoc, Colorado this weekend gone. I counted 17 in our hotel carpark alone. Sheds more cruising the streets, and an immaculate '65, in cream. Sweeeet.

Grant

Oh I've been a busy boy.

This is a shot of the bits I've got together with the kit. Features a set of rub down white wall trims and an etched set for Corvettes (generic) more on this later

RIMG1888.jpg

RIMG1889.jpg

A couple of shots of the body in primer after about the third re,rub and fill. Nearly there, I was surprised at how difficult it was to prepare in particular the seams around the door openings and nose.

2008_08070005.jpg

2008_08070010.jpg

2008_08070011.jpg

2008_08070012.jpg

2008_08070013.jpg

First up I decided to work on the interior tub. The etched set gives you a set of etched spokes for the steering wheel so here they are:

2008_08070019.jpg

2008_08070021.jpg

After that I spoted a set of keys and a fob on the etched fret so I'm now working on incorporating them in the model. May need to turn up a new column with ignition switch. Just need a decent photo of this area to confirm shape and layout.

2008_08070022.jpg

More as time progresses.

THC

What primer did you use on the body THC ?

Primer is Zero Grey Micro filler Primer. Steve at Hiroboy.com has a great range of paints and primers. I don't find him expensive and his turnaround on orders placeed if stupendous.

THC

The Hooded Claw Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Primer is Zero Grey Micro filler Primer. Steve at Hiroboy.com has a great range of paints and primers. I don't find him expensive and his turnaround on orders placeed if stupendous.

Thanks.

I'm impressed with the look of your primer, think I'll swing by Hiroboy & check it out.

:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...

With the 250TR out of the way and the YZR on hold whilst my eyes recover from the chain i thought i ought to progress this model.

With the engine in mainly primer I have looked to paint the body. I've chosen a nice Dark purple from the Nissan range and this is currently drying. When dry I'll post some pictures.

H

Looks really cool THC!! Do you have custom wheels too or will you be using the original steel spoked ones??

Cheers

Mike

I'm trying to use as much of the original kit as possible save for the etched fret which is mainly badges and trim anyway. The interior will be stock Grey carpets and stuff. Seat colours I'm struggling to research but that will be the last thing I do before zipping it up in any event.

BTW did you source a bike kit?

THC

Had a little look at the dry body this morning before I set off to work and discovered I'd had a visit from the dust fairy, Seems a little careful remedial paint work may be required before I can clear coat it.

THC

Cheers all,

I'd forgotten just how badly moulded some of these Revell kits are. The body has taken weeks to get to a condition good enough for me to consider painting it. The Chassis and Engine parts are frankly dire. The Chassis piece is a large one piece moulding with the fuel tank and various suspension parts moulded in situ. Now if that were a Tamiya part I'd have just primered it and Bob would have been your Auntie. However it is not and had a whole a varied mix of plastic sag, moulding lines and short shot issues. I've been working on it now since Sunday and I'm about ready for primer. Just don't get me going on the exhausts!

Pictures tonight, if I get time.

H

Well i'm making a little progress. Here's a shot of the body ready to clear sat on the chassis and with the tub in place. Any areas of Orange plastic you see will be covered over in the fullness of time. I'm really hoping to have this done for Telford but somehow I doubt it. The sheer volume of rubbing down and reshaping the parts required is really getting me down. Not that I'm a perfectionist it just needs to look right and a whacking great mould line down the middle of the front grill does not look right!

2008_10150003.jpg

Hope you like

THC

• 6 months later...

As i'm in a spirit of finishing some of my older WIPs I shot another coat of Midnight Purple on the body tonight. It will cure during my hols then I can Clear it on my return.

It will be done!

2009_04290005.jpg

2009_04290006.jpg

THC

• 1 month later...

Great looking finish Ian, the Vette is looking good -and apologies for not getting back earlier but the Sky man arrived 2 hours early and then buggered it up and left late.

Steve