Meteor PR10 conversion

AnonymousAA72

Dealing with the unique (in many ways!) unique Meteor F8/FR9/PR10 canopy -missed by many modeller's......

The canopy itself was fixed to a sliding section - this doubled as the "upper decking" when the hood was closed. Canopy's slid open therefore should have this section slid open as well

I attempted this by using a piece of plastic card bent to shape and sanded smooth. A small piece of circular rod was added with a piece of twisted fusewire cord!

100_8226.jpg

The sliding section was painted black

100_8232.jpg

And the hood added - in this case its the rear section from an Aeroclub vac-form with the windscreen from the kit.

I also attempted a new way of replicating the ejection seat grab handles. This is thin 0.25mm lead wire (from Little Cars) twisted and bent to shape and superglued into pre drilled holes in the Aeroclub white metal seats. I painted them yellow and then ran some citadel black wash over them. These handles took about an hpur to get right!!! Fiddly or what!! - but I think it could be a good method in future...

100_8237.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill,

Being relatively new to these boards, I just ran across these builds. I well remember your 1/48 scale PR 10; in fact, it is partially responsible for a long-term project of mine. I am working on a 1/48 scale PR 10 using the Classic Airframes FR 9 kit plus the tail and outer wings from the Tamiya Mk I kit. On these models I noticed that you have the wrap-around rubber seal that sits up a bit along the canopy rails, angles up, and wraps around the ejection seat. First time I've seen that modeled; nice touch! How did you do that? I want to add that to my updated cockpit but I have been trying to figure out a simple way to do it!

Thanks in advance, Jim