Tissue Tarps

Guest snipersmudge

Guest snipersmudge

Here's my method for making rolled tarps for your armour,

First up it's the ingredients, namely wood or white glue, tissues, any type will do but I use these from Lidls. Cheap and very strong and some thread and a suitable surface to work on such as a piece of plastic

S8001684.jpg

Here I've cut the middle out, if the tissue is embossed with a pattern it should not make any difference to the finished tarp roll. Sizes are judged by eye

S8001685.jpg

Fold the tarp if you wish for a neater edge. Next mix up some glue and water and dab on the rough edge with a brush then fold over

S8001686.jpg

S8001687.jpg

Now thoroughly soak the tissue on both sides

S8001688.jpg

And begin to roll, don't worry too much about rough ends etc

S8001689.jpg

Once rolled it should look like this

S8001690.jpg

Now taking your thread or string just tie the ends to replicate rope etc. If you wish you can add thin strips of tape later to replicate straps etc once the tarp is dry. You will see as you tighten the tissue creases giving convincing folds etc to your tarp you can add more folds etc as you wish

S8001691.jpg

S8001692.jpg

And here you are one nicely rolled and formed tarp

S8001693.jpg

At this stage I add a little bit more glue mix and let dry for about ten minutes. Next place on the model and then you can shape it as desired. If you want to place jerry cans etc on top of the tarp do it now and let everything dry. Once dry remove and paint it's that simple.

You can make many different types of tarps,bedrolls etc from tissue. It's less messy than using putty and can look just as good

hope this helps Mish

Pete

Excellent, Pete!

Everybody is able to show a picture or two of his/her latest build.

But only a few really shares their tips and tricks the way you're doing it here.

There's a French saying (I'm sure it's not only French, btw):

"Le savoir ne vaut que s'il est partagé"

Roughly translated, "Knowledge is worth only if shared", or something like that.

:jump_fire:

Edited by Antoine