Australian `Nam Centurion

Derwentsider

Hello Folks,

Here are some pics of the Cromwell 1/76 Centurion for the Modern Armour group build.The only casting blocks to speak of were on the bottom of the tracks which took five minutes to remove with the razor saw,the smaller cast items were easily removed by scalpel. The build of the kit is basically finished after a couple of hours,the only items missing are the tow cables which will be replaced with suitably sized wire. Just the odd bit of tidying up to do here and there and it`ll be ready to paint. Crew will have to be sourced elsewhere,but the 30.cal on the turret was included all along,I`m getting a bit cloth-eyed you see.

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

Thanks for looking,Tim.

Tim: Your Centurion looks very detailed..I'm looking forward to seeing it painted...

Cheers,

ggc

Tim the Aussie Cent looks fantastic, I'll really ejoy watching this one come together :popcorn:

By the way the best color match for Aussie OD that you can get is Gunze H303 Light Green as a base coat and then fade appropriatley. If you can't get Gunze then either Humbrol 117 or Tamiya XF-58 will do the job. IPMS Stokholm list the equivilant color for H303 as Tamiya XF-27, this is wrong as XF-27 is Black Green.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments folks. Thats helpful Darson,I wasn`t sure what colour to paint it but use Tamiya acrylics most of the time so it will be XF-58. I don`t think the kit has been out for long Trojan,mine was bought at the IPMS Tyneside show from the Friendship Models stand. There is a good sequence of build photos on the `On The Way` website which specializes in the smaller scale armour stuff. Look under the multi-media section and then click on Cromwell Models.(Sorry,I don`t know how to do links).The detail is lovely Mish, I`ll be on the lookout for more of these in the future.Ccg,this is where it all starts to go horribly wrong

You will like it Daz. The one thing I forgot to mention is that it doesn`t come with instructions of any kind. I used the instructions from the AFV club kit (1/35) to help me with some of the smaller bits,and there are great walkaround photos posted on the armour threads (ta Ozh & Don).

It falls together Daz,really.Theres only about a dozen bits to it.The only tricky bit was I think what is used for the searchlight stowage on the back of the turret.The resin is wafer thin and I wasn`t 100% sure of the location.Ah,well its on now.I had to cut it off my thumb as I`d superglued it to myself.Doh.

Ok, super looking build but what on earth is the big bass drum hanging on the front of the turret for?.

JB.

P.S. No points for guessing that I'm not a tread head!!!.

Hell that one HUGE spot light, thanks for the info Daz.

JB.

Midnight kangaroo hunts, eh mate?? :eat: [ Oh dear, he's gone and ate little Joey... :weep: ]

Cheers,

ggc

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,here are some progress pics of the Centurion. I ended up using the kit tow cables as could not find any thin enough wire,they come in four pieces and i managed to break three of them :analintruder:

The model is primed in Tamiya XF-69 but this looks a lot lighter in the photo`s in what has passed for daylight here today.This will then have progressively lighter shades of Tamiya XF-58 misted on,then on with the detail painting and weathering.

Apparently a lot of these vehicles had the smoke dischargers taken off and put into storage due to them being ripped off when traversing the harsh terrain encountered in Vietnam,but I like the look of them so left them on,and will probably do the same when I get round to its big brother.

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

My build rate is glacial at the moment but I hope to crack on with it tomorrow and get the greens on before I go back to work next week :raincloud: Thanks for looking,Tim.

That's some fantastic looking detail for such a small kit and you've done a great job with the assembly, it looks absolutely spot on. I don't mind if the updates are slow just keep them coming :popcorn:

Cheers

Thanks for the comments guys,I`ll be on the lookout for more of these kits myself.A late mark Chieftain would fit the bill nicely :pipe:

Well,got the old Badger cranked up this morning and got the main coats on it,it wasn`t fully dry when I took these pics.Once its dry its onto my favourite bits of colouring everything in :hypnotised: and lining out the recessed bits with Mig Pigments `black smoke`.Once this is done I like to go over the raised detail and sharp edges around the tool boxes etc. drybrushing with a lighter shade.

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

Thanks for looking,Tim.