* Messerschmitt Bf-110c : FINISHED.

AnonymousDFB1

Phew! Some heavy duty sanding going on there :wacko: Still, you seem to have broken the back of it now, just a few dimples to sort out. Don't forget that Squadron Green putty tends to take paint differently than the styrene around it, so make sure you give it a coat of primer (Mr Surfacer as you mentioned), sand it with some fine grade paper/stick and prime it again. Should start to blend in then.

D'ya think you've lost much detail? If so, are you going to try your hand at rescribing the bits where the panel lines are a bit light? Go easy on the puttied areas if you do, as it's a little prone to cutting up because of the difference in density. Keep going though... it's too expensive a kit to give up on ;)

Hi Mike:

From a general kit building perspective, I ditched the tube filler thing a long time ago - it still works of course, as Mish is amply demonstrating but...you wind up with lots of re-scribing and the side effect of having trouble not chipping the filler with the scriber during remedials.

Bin the tube filler and wheel Milliput Superfine White out instead. Mix and apply to area and then enjoy the best part of all - 'sand' the excess off with a wet finger, while doing no damage to the surrounding detail (no re-scribing). Wet the finger of choice and run it back and forth across the filled area. Re-wet periodically until the excess Milliput has washed away (dab up the slurry with kitchen towell as you go).

Some slurry will find its way into recessed rivets and so on but is easily removed with a sharpened tooth pick / stiff damp brush etc. The wetting of the Milliput increases its adhesive qualities and it dries plenty hard enough to take re-scribing like normal styrene. Most times, the wet finger sanding leaves little or no need for Mr Surfacer on top. If any additional filling remains either more Milliput or CA medium viscosity (or gel) applied very locally with a bit of brass wire and hit with accelerator still leaves the now limited re-scribing a safe prospect.

When I built the IL-2 from AM recently I wound up with an ugly wing root step - a significany dip that needed a very careful fill and blend. Milliput went in, the wet finger went on and feathered the repair in so readily that no conventional sanding was required and it disappeared under primer and top coats.

5a-2.jpg

A real sanity preserver - and when you've little enough of it to start with that's important - eh Mish... :rolleyes:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Some more on the 110 at last.

Underside done

yuxo57.jpg

Top sprayed with the lighter paint and masking up for the dark green.

yuxo5a.jpg

Now does anyone think there is not enough contrast between the colours?

yuxo5e.jpg

This one I took with a flash to highlight the colours better.

yuxo5m.jpg

Painted up a bit of plasticard with what I think would be better colours, what does everyone else think?

yuxo5q.jpg

Answers tied to a brick and aimed at the 110 please.

Hi Mish,

I'd say it definitely needs a higher contrast between the two colours. But, not being a Luftwaffe expert, I couldn't say much past that observation!

I'll leave it for the more qualified to guide you further.

Cheers

Richard.

Hi Mish,

Having looked at your 110 shots and bearing in mind the very low contrast that existed between the two greens 70 & 71 when applied to the full-size aircraft, I would have to say that. IMHO, the contrast between the two upper colours on your model is a lot more representative of the real thing than that which is seen on so many Luftwaffe models in the same camo.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mike:

From a general kit building perspective, I ditched the tube filler thing a long time ago - it still works of course, as Mish is amply demonstrating but...you wind up with lots of re-scribing and the side effect of having trouble not chipping the filler with the scriber during remedials.

Bin the tube filler and wheel Milliput Superfine White out instead. Mix and apply to area and then enjoy the best part of all - 'sand' the excess off with a wet finger, while doing no damage to the surrounding detail (no re-scribing). Wet the finger of choice and run it back and forth across the filled area. Re-wet periodically until the excess Milliput has washed away (dab up the slurry with kitchen towell as you go).

Some slurry will find its way into recessed rivets and so on but is easily removed with a sharpened tooth pick / stiff damp brush etc. The wetting of the Milliput increases its adhesive qualities and it dries plenty hard enough to take re-scribing like normal styrene. Most times, the wet finger sanding leaves little or no need for Mr Surfacer on top. If any additional filling remains either more Milliput or CA medium viscosity (or gel) applied very locally with a bit of brass wire and hit with accelerator still leaves the now limited re-scribing a safe prospect.

When I built the IL-2 from AM recently I wound up with an ugly wing root step - a significany dip that needed a very careful fill and blend. Milliput went in, the wet finger went on and feathered the repair in so readily that no conventional sanding was required and it disappeared under primer and top coats.

5a-2.jpg

A real sanity preserver - and when you've little enough of it to start with that's important - eh Mish... :rolleyes:

Steve

Hi Steve,

I made this about four years ago using sans filler.

Storm-2.jpg

I just banged the upper wing halves on first. Mind you, if I have a filling problem, then I also use an epoxy filler -Alteco- which is an excellent substitute to Miliput if you can't get it. Alteco cures in about three hours to a hardish consistency. I find that it rescribes best at this point, rather than leaving it until fully cured when it can be a bit brittle. I also agree with your comments about using a wet finger to smooth it* - cuts the work down a lot.

*PG

Dave

I really don't know what to do. I've got to respray the lighter green as I'm not happy with it it's gone on too thin. so I might take the opportunity to change the shade.

The colours are accurate. I've taken the model outside in the daylight and they are spot on to the colour guide. But to me they just don't look right.

What to do?

I would leave it as it is.

I will use Humbrol matt 30 (dark green) and 91 (black green) for my STUKA.

It's about the same contrast.

Also,colors tend to change when pictures are taken indoors.

Edited by Erwin

Nice work Mish! Looks Ok for me! Much better contrast which I think was that you where aiming for!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Three hours of fiddly work today.

First off I painted a lot of the smaller parts on the sprue.

Next was to mask the canopy with the supplied mask set.

yukrah.jpg

I then sprayed the parts with matt black and then the final colour.

yukrai.jpg

Next up was to build the exhausts. Gluing all those stubs to the manifolds was fun ... NOT.

yukrax.jpg

The exhausts need another coat of paint and some weathering.

I'm sure this kit was designed buy a sadist to try and drive me mad.

Nice job Mish. Good job they supply those masks for the canopy eh? Those exhausts are right fiddly, and be warned they are a real tight fit into the nacelles. I had to sand mine front, rear, and each lower edge of each exhaust assembly, so just a heads up for you. Forewarned is forearmed as they say ;)