Cool looking Merlin

Nev

Promted by Grants pics from America, I thought "I wonder if the Japanese have built their Antarctic support Merlins yet?"

One google image search later

20070918161705.jpg

20070918161710.jpg

These are to replace their Sea Things

nice scheme, nearly as nice as their new minesweeper MCH-101's. I think these antartic versions will be designated CH-101's. Just for the record 'Merlin' name is only for the RAF/RN variants. nice find.

Be interesting to see what scheme the Algerian ones will be when they get built.

Dave

You are correct about the designation. According to Pollie on ARC, this is the first one and was Westland built.

Augusta/Westland built the 1st minesweeper, rest (including the pictured one) are being built by Kawasaki industries

Edited by merlin101

• 3 years later...

Good pictures. I have a question though (two actually), the Japanese one has 5 windows so are they the same configuration as the heliliner? Also is the fuselage longer than the standard RAF/RN Merlins? I have an RAF one in the stash.... B)

Steve

Steve, you can build one using the RAF boxing, just needs the necesary mods done. Infact I've just started building one myself, dreading painting the dayglo though!! I'm using the VH71 kit as it has the correct holes for the windows, side crew door & fuselarge aerial which is big help. I just need to modify the 'bulged' windows & sponsons.

Dave

Be interesting to see what scheme the Algerian ones will be when they get built.

Wonder no more. These have been working up at Newquay Airport (ex RAF St Mawgan) for some time now.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1272235/

http://www.nomadlens.com/images/2011072806...0100601-463.jpg

Edited by Seahawk

looks pretty cool that. im loving the rear view mirrors on these Japanese cabs

UK Merlins have big external rear view mirrors too. at least the RN ones at Culdrose do. one arms that look like they belong on a artic truck.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

UK Merlins have big external rear view mirrors too. at least the RN ones at Culdrose do. one arms that look like they belong on a artic truck.

They probably are of a truck, but knowing the MOD they paid 4 times the price for them.

Julien