Briareos - 1/6 GK

Paul B

This is Briaroes Hecatonchires from the Manga/Anime Appleseed - by the same artist that created the Tachikoma. Bri is a cyborg and one mean mother... A nice easy kit this one, with it being only seven pieces and being about 22.5cm tall once built :D

b_1.jpg

All the bits cleaned of flash, dry fitted & standing next to the DVD :)

b_2.jpg

It's being soaked unitl I'm ready to start painting.

Edited by Paul B

OK, I made a start on him yesterday, I did the pre-shade on the pants/legs and a couple of thin layers of green then a top coat of Satin varnish to finish, the belt was painted matt black over the top of the varnish. I started the torso this morning doing the pre-shade and a single light coat of Alclad2 Gold Titanium. It requires one more light coat of the Alclad just to tone done the pre-shade a touch more, then the lower legs need masking and spraying with the Alclad also.

b_3.jpg

b_4.jpg

Paul :D

Paul are you an artist by trade? You seem to excel with the painting.

Great stuff.

I can answer that one! He used to be a landscape gardener, but became a HGV driver last year. He's also good at climbing hills on a bike <_<

Spot on Mike, I hope to be back out on the bike soon :D

I'm trying a slightly different & IMO cheeky way of shading. I think for this kit the pre-shade and two or three thin coats of paint is working very well, it's created some nice shading that would take ages if done any other way.

Method: Gray primer, Black pre-shade, two or three coats of thinned paint (1:3 paint:thinner) & top coat of varnish. Nothing different to the way you do the paint work on the planes.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Jun 13 2007, 09:59 PM)
Spot on Mike, I hope to be back out on the bike soon :D

I'm trying a slightly different & IMO cheeky way of shading. I think for this kit the pre-shade and two or three thin coats of paint is working very well, it's created some nice shading that would take ages if done any other way.

Method: Gray primer, Black pre-shade, two or three coats of thinned paint (1:3 paint:thinner) & top coat of varnish. Nothing different to the way you do the paint work on the planes.

I'm ace me! :D

Your pre-shading technique is exactly the same as most of us use for our panel lines on aircraft... it works a treat, doesn't it? You just have to be careful to make it subtle with planes.. probably not so subtle on your anime characters.

Us wingy-thing modellers also sometimes paint the middle of panels, then mist more paint over until the pre-shading's almost gone... that may give you even more control over your coverage ;)

That's VERY nie work Paul, especially as it was relatively quick. One criticism if I may... because the figure is so good, by comparison, the gun looks a bit drab, being just a dark grey all over...

That one thing apart though, you're turning into quite the expert figure painter ;)

:hmmm: I'll have to agree with you about the gun, it does look unfinished but I'm not 100% sure what to do with it!

Know what you mean - there's not much in the way of detail on the moulding, is there? :hmmm: I'm sure you'll come up with something, but if you do try & primp it up & it goes wrong, please don't blame me! :unsure:

Fantastic work as always Paul.

That's got to be the best use of pre shading on a figure yet :thumbsup2:

Having known Paul on a personal basis for about 2 years now, I'd never have guessed he had such a talent for these things, and we'd have missed out on all his creations if he'd not asked me about airbrushes by PM on my mountain biking site, JUST as I was opening up britmodeller's forum software beyond those first few visitors :)

Glad you joined us Paul - you're doing some great work & entertaining all us wingy-thing builders with something different :thumbsup:

:D Your making me blush...

Steve, I get the resin kits from a Hong Kong based company who can be found at E2046.com. The kits cost around £20 (give or take a tenner) a piece shipped to the UK. I also have Dunen and one of the Landmate suites worn by ESWAT on order (£60).

In the post this morning was another kit from e2046, this one is a Spider Tank from the Gost in the Shell animated film. It's a big kit and looks realy nice and straight forward. One Kit I'm really looking forward to getting is Vash the Stampead from the Trigun manga - I'm reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series at the mo' and Vash comes across a bit like Roland the Gunslinger - a bit unimaginative, but tough and deadly with his guns!