Yet more Farnborough.

Fmk.6john

Ok, so by now it's been done to death but I though I would post these for comments,

It has to have been the worst airshow I have been too in years, and I vow never to go again.

swift02xg0.jpg

spanishtyphoon04lo3.jpg

seaking01rs2.jpg

parachute03yq2.jpg

parachute01uh9.jpg

a38001pj2.jpg

a38002tr9.jpg

airbusa38002pp3.jpg

aermacchim31101xo7.jpg

aerobats01ag3.jpg

f1605re9.jpg

f1606vz8.jpg

f1802lz0.jpg

avrovulcan01rt4.jpg

Well thats about all I could salvage from 250 frames, it wasn't the weather really but the whole abismal organisation of the event,

Farnborough used to be a spectacle but now it's a shadow of it's former self.

Comments welcome.

JB.

Ok, so by now it's been done to death but I though I would post these for comments,

It has to have been the worst airshow I have been too in years, and I vow never to go again.

swift02xg0.jpg

Well thats about all I could salvage from 250 frames, it wasn't the weather really but the whole abismal organisation of the event,

Farnborough used to be a spectacle but now it's a shadow of it's former self.

Comments welcome.

JB.

Ow do JB, it must have been bad for you to say something like this, fave photo above :wub: Seahawk :wub:

Bex

Lets put it this way Bex, on the radio they kept billing it as the best airshow in the world!!!!.

There was barely a dozen military statics and the rest was biz junk, this was supposed to have been the 60th FB and the 90th of the RAF

and yet there was nothing done to celebrate it, no role demo, no special display, and as for not doing a formation with the Vulcan

what a wasted opportunity, c'mon I mean the Vulcan and the Reds, they could not have made it any worse.

Regards,

JB.

Lets put it this way Bex, on the radio they kept billing it as the best airshow in the world!!!!.

There was barely a dozen military statics and the rest was biz junk, this was supposed to have been the 60th FB and the 90th of the RAF

and yet there was nothing done to celebrate it, no role demo, no special display, and as for not doing a formation with the Vulcan

what a wasted opportunity, c'mon I mean the Vulcan and the Reds, they could not have made it any worse.

Regards,

JB.

Remember it is a business show not an air show in spite of what they claim.

Ted

Now I do like that angle on the Seaking, very unusual!

True about Farnborough lacking the punch other shows have, and although it is a trade show, I do think it doesn't compare to the likes of ILA and Paris.

I agree, its a business show and as a result when the public flocks in the space available simply isn't enough. I parked myself right infront of the static Typhoon and went off to get a coffee and have a pee. By the time I got back it was 5 deep and that was just people watching the Vulcan being towed down the runway!

In terms of flying excitement it just wasn't as good as its been in the past. YES the Vulcan kicked bottom, YES its always a pleasure to see the Super Bug, the Reds and the BBMF, but where was the Mig 29, Raptor, Osprey, RAF demo etc etc etc.

Must be honest, I had more fun at Fairfords Friday arrivals than I did at Farnborough, which sucks as its my local show :angry:

I respect that it is a buisness show more than a public event but as for it being the 60th, and the 90th RAF and nothing being done, and they spent all day bigging it up on the radio as being the best airshow in the world ever!!!.

In future I will stick to Waddo, Fairford an break my Legends viginity next year.

JB.

I respect that it is a buisness show more than a public event but as for it being the 60th, and the 90th RAF and nothing being done, and they spent all day bigging it up on the radio as being the best airshow in the world ever!!!.

In future I will stick to Waddo, Fairford an break my Legends viginity next year.

JB.

Totally agree. I used to go to Farnborough on a regular basis in the eighties, usually on the first public day which was on the Friday. After a posting to Germany I relapsed until 1994 and did not think much of the show then. I only really went this year as I had a free ticket from work, but I don't think that I will go again if it is as bad as it was on Sunday.

Let's face it, Farnborough is supposed to be a showcase for new aircraft and generally it is, it's just that these days there are far more new civil aircraft types than there are miltary. Gone are the days of the 50's and 60's where it was military all the way; civil aircraft were not in the same demand. That situation has reversed somewhat to say the least. We also need to remember that Farnborough does not have military ties any more, and therefore does not have the same "obligation" to celebrate the RAF's 90th anniversary as the military airshows. Fairford would have done the RAF proud I think, but alas, that was not to be (damn weather). The celebrations on the friday were quite spectacular, but it was not stictly speaking a public day. I agree, the Farnborough airshow has become pretty poor, and I wholeheartedly agree that sticking to RIAT, Waddo, Legends and the rest is definitely the way forward. I strongly recommend Legends by the way, the sounds and sights are spectacular. I was gutted that I missed it this year (due to work), but at least I managed to see Liberty Belle when she stopped at Prestwick.

Dave

Love the Seahawk pic by the way, excellent angle!

Edited by rafalbert

I think Farnborough is a very different type of airshow to those normally attended by aviation enthusiasts. It is first and foremost a business exhibition and, on that score, it is one of the biggest and best attended in the world.

I admit therefore that the flying display part of the show is nothing like as impressive as one would get at Fairford or even Waddington and certainly nothing like as impressive as Farnborough used to be in "the old days". However, apart from lack of quantity the other major consideration about Farnborough is the safety aspects of the display, which are probably the most stringent in the world. This is mainly due to the heavilly built up nature of the surrounding countryside. Wayward or out of control aircarft have a high probability of landing on a shopping centre (even if it is already part demolished at the moment) or on adjacent housing so the flying has to be restricted compared to places like Fairford.

A number of years ago I decided that I needed to change my approach to the Farnborough Air Show. Instead of going with the expectation of seeing a vast and specatuclar flying display, I decided that the way to go was to chat to the people "minding" the aircraft on the static - asking lots of questions. I also decided to really investigate the exhibition halls and chat with the exhibitors. From that point onwards, my enjoyment of the show began to increase again.

I was able to go last Friday and had a very good day out. I spoke to people on the Alan Bond "Skylon" stand, a chap at Dowty, a lady fronting a stand for an astronaut rescue device, the guy looking after the BAe Systems testbed Jetstream and the crew chief of the USAF Beechjet which had flown all the way from Randolph Air Force Base in Texas.