Chinook or herc?

Bannana cause it has a lot of a peel.... :analintruder:

:coat:

Cheers,

ggc

I prefer the name, 'the contra rotating bird of death' for the chinny. Having flown in both on several occasions and done low level in both down in the falklands I have to say I would choose the chinny, an altogether scarier experience, but great fun.

I thought it was the Bristol Belvedere that was the flying death banana?, they really do look like a banana and more of them fell out the sky than the Chinhook.

The more common name for the Chinook I think is the Wokka on account of the noise the blades make?

JB.

Gents, and ladies

After a short bit of research I have found the 'real' flying death banana, the Piasecki H-21.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-21

A video of a not so good landing......

Sorry it's a bit off topic!!!.

JB.

Sorry Jen, I wasn't trying to correct anyone,it's just I have never heard the Chinhook being called a death banana before :shrug: .

Will learn to shut my mouth in future, first I must remove my feet!!.

JB.

It's what we call it. Probably because it looks a bit banana-ish and they have a tendency to crash a lot :shrug:

Jen.

It's a lot better than what American GI's call it.

I was torn between these two as I've flown many a mile in both :hmmm:

but if I had to pick it would be the wokka purely because their pilots are nutters :mental:

If proof is needed then watch a wokka doing a flying display :thumbsup:

Can't do that in a herc

I was torn between these two as I've flown many a mile in both :hmmm:

but if I had to pick it would be the wokka purely because their pilots are nutters :mental:

If proof is needed then watch a wokka doing a flying display :thumbsup:

Can't do that in a herc

They are nutters its true although the display pilots these days have a lot to learn from the likes of Darryl Willcoks (an Aussie exchange pilot from the early days of the RAF time with the Chinook), Bob Holden and the completely mad Dave Morgan.

The Chinook earned the nickname "flying death bannana" from a time when a couple of them crashed - they don't crash anymore often than anything else - just more spectacularly! It had been called the Flying Bannana because it's descended from the original Flying Bannana, it looks bannana-ish (especially if they're not EU straight 'nana's), and 'cos some of the original aircraw and engineers had been on Belvedere's :S

Most of the degrogatory names for the Chinook came from outside of the fleet - often from the Lightweights on Puma's, SARboys or Plankies :innocent: , mostly we called it Wokka or Chinny or sometimes "Twin-tub", when we were extracting the urine from the operators of lesser cabs we might call it "the Big Green Machine".

Having worked on them for a mighty long time I'm gonna have to say Chinook!

Regards

Wez

Often called 'The 44 seater contra rotating flying death banana' of just plain 'wokka' by the people who worked on it. The flying banana comes from when the Chinook lifts into the air vertically with the rotors being at either end of the airframe, the airframe tends to bend slightly hence the name. The death thing came, as Wez said after some crashes early in its career with 'aunty bettys flying club'. I would fly on a Wokka any day, apart from when they are doing the flying display.