Jump to content

* Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia/II


timraven1992
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks GGC and Mish ;),

Quite a fair bit of progress has been made,

The fuselage has been fillered and sanded a few times, and also rescribed.

The door hinge has been reduced down a bit as well.

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

The wings were thinned a LOT from the inside, with the ailerons being removed and thinned, and the flaps as well. (thanks for the tips Dave G)

IMG_0870.jpg

Me being clumsy as usual I created a bit more work for myself in the process! :banghead2:

Nothing copius amounts of Milliput can't sort out though! :)

The wings are far thinner than before and should look fine after the filling and sanding hopefully :)

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments/constructive critisism welcomed!

Cheers

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers peeps ;),

I made a silly error with the Spit :oops:,

I attached the wings, but forgot to paint the bottom of the wing section interior green, so it is light grey!

Its fairly obvious if you look straight into the cockpit, but It should tone down with some paint on the outside to stop light shining through.

I may have to do it with the pit closed now :(

I've milliputted the wings, then sanded and black painted them. After more sanding I have applied tippex which shows more filling needed :(,

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

I've also separated the elevators and repositioned them dropped.

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

This was achieved by 0.5mm wire and a 0.5mm drill bit in a pin vice.

I'm also happy because I got good GCSE results, and as a treat my mum contributed towards a Harder und Steenback Evolution airbrush :D, from Everything Airbrush!

Can't wait till I can give it a try ;),

Cheers

Tim

P.S. All my modelling seems to have knackered out Bramble! :rolleyes:

IMG_0895.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a silly error with the Spit :oops:,

I attached the wings, but forgot to paint the bottom of the wing section interior green, so it is light grey!

Shouldn't be a big problem Tim. You need a long-nosed dropping pipette (see Science teacher) and some well thinned interior green. Add the paint using the pipette and swirl it around. It should make all the difference.

Dave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Handy tip there, getting paint into tiny spots can be a real chore.

Well done with the exams (and on having a cat! (I so miss mine)), the spits coming along nice, I'll have to try out this tippex lark myself sometime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A fair bit of progress,

I had a spray round with my new H+S Evo to check the seams, more filling was necessary :(

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

After that I squirted some thinned Hu 78 (new acrylic type) onto the pit floor with a syringe. However I may have forgotten about the hole for the landing light, landing gear (all three!!) and the eight machine gun ejector ports. Luckily I was wearing old trousers :laugh:!

I then blocked off these holes with car masking tape, and tried again:

IMG_0897.jpg

As this dried the paint separated and dried very pitted and with varying greens. However this can only be seen if looked at VERY closely, so I'll leave it :)

IMG_0935.jpg

I attached the horizontal stabs and fillered them:

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

I then test fitted the Radiator bath and Oil cooler, which both have the mating faces a bit to thick, after sanding them down and gluing, and then fillering I was left with this:

IMG_0932.jpg

I have also dipped the canopies in klear but the main canopy is unuseable due to a moulding defect :(

I emailed airfix a while ago but am still waiting :(

Cheers

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...